• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Old clausing metal lathe, $350, Owen Sound

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/owen-sound/lathe/1546993532?undefined

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
For a fixer upper its a great deal. I mean it is even a good deal for a wood lathe!

The chain worries me a bit, but at least its not wrapped around the lathe.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Was advertised as an old metal lathe, but ya, stuff looked missing to me to. The compound for one. Didn't occur to me that drive screws and feed box were missing.

Keith Rucker recently showed off 'one of my most prized posessions' on a shop tour - it was a pattern makers lathe. He talked about a few of the features and how it differed from a regular wood lathe to gain more precision for making moulds/casting patterns

Funny tho, this lathe seems to have the spot where the gearbox for the drive screws would be, plus a chip pan. It kinda looks like a clausing metal lathe that was converted to a wood lathe?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Keith Rucker recently showed off 'one of my most prized posessions' on a shop tour - it was a pattern makers lathe. He talked about a few of the features and how it differed from a regular wood lathe to gain more precision for making moulds/casting patterns

Funny tho, this lathe seems to have the spot where the gearbox for the drive screws would be, plus a chip pan. It kinda looks like a clausing metal lathe that was converted to a wood lathe?

Yes the black part may be actual thread table!

Maybe an old, beaten lathe was converted to a wood lathe and parts stripped down. Even with some huge wear a metal lathe will do circles around wood lathe cutting ... wood. Main problem is spindle speed and whatever metal lathe would be able to be run a bit "faster"

1611267715602.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Now I see it. The feed box, lead screw, saddle and apron are missing. I thought something didn't look right. D'oh

Last edited: