• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Oh man - this could be a great deal.... 13 x 48 ....some nice additions $2500

gmihovics

Garrett
i was looking at it, she looks great but she's heavy and the wife would not be happy with that coming home just now.

one day I will find my big boy lathe.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@gmihovics : sell her on the future.....

realistically it has been 3 days on the kijiji - never hurts to take a look

What I have found is that if you can show up ready to move it - it will be yours!

anyway - folks on the forum always ready to spend your money! LOL!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
s-l640.jpg

Burlington, ON

3” x 49” Henry Milnes Lathe. Made in England. 1960’s. 220 volt 3 phase Has gap piece in bed for turning large diameters Comes with: Quick change toolpost - wedge style. Not cheap piston style. 3 jaw chuck. Internal/external jaws 4 jaw chuck Collet chuck Slotted faceplate Steady rest Follower rest Dumore precision toolpost grinder Beautifully made machine quality that you just can’t get anymore. Comes with everything you need to make parts. Original brochure and maintenance manual in prestine condition. She’s old and a little sloppy but still runs good. Hooked up and can be demonstrated Asking $2500 Buyer responsible for moving costs. Can refer machinery mover for serious buyer. Weight approximately 2,000 lbs

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Besides the truth of what @Brent H says about us always being willing to spend others money..... This does sound like a beauty. It is what I was once looking for until I gave up and bought a new one.

Dumore precision toolpost grinder Beautifully made machine quality that you just can’t get anymore. Comes with everything you need to make parts. Original brochure and maintenance manual in prestine condition. She’s old and a little sloppy but still runs good. Hooked up and can be demonstrated

This paragraph gives me mixed emotions:

I love that it comes with a nice tool post grinder! I love that it comes with the manuals. And I love that it is hooked up so you can see it running.

But those words "it is old and a little sloppy" scare the heck out of me.

The description isn't clear about whether the bed gap has been removed before either. My experience with removing the gap is not good. I have never removed the gap on mine and baring an extreme emergency, I never will.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
the wife would not be happy with that coming home just now.

Ouch!

Great home shops are built on the sound principle: it's far easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. After a dozen lathes, she'll barely raise an eye brow :)

That offering, its the sort I always looked for, in fact waited for; it has everything. 3J, 4J, collet chuck, steadies, faceplate etc. I'd pass on most lathes until one like that came along (assuming its not clapped out junk)....if you don't get one with it all, it takes so much time and money to collect it all afterward

Last edited:
But those words "it is old and a little sloppy" scare the heck out of me.
Since grinders are famous for spewing damaging abrasive dust all over it begs the question as to how much wear exactly there is on the ways. According to http://www.lathes.co.uk/milnes/ the weight of 2,000 lbs is about right and the spindle is just a simple thread on which I do not like. Otherwise it looks like a heck of a deal if you have the space and the ability to move it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Since grinders are famous for spewing damaging abrasive dust all over it begs the question as to how much wear exactly there is on the ways.

The grinder is part of the lathe??? That possibility never crossed my mind! I would not like that at all!!

Abrasives are not allowed anywhere near my lathe. I have home made spinner for that, and sometimes I cover the ways on my old antique lathe and use it.

Don't really trust screw on chucks much. Really hard to use reverse. Had the chuck back off on my antique lathe once. Didn't come off, but that was no fun at all. Scared the bejesus out of me. Have not investigated, but somebody must have come up with a lock system of some kind by now.

gmihovics

Garrett
Great home shops are built on the sound principle: it's far easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. After a dozen lathes, she'll barely raise an eye brow :)
lol my wife is not one to be crossed, she is one to be feared and respected. I'm pretty sure she's been responsible for the disappearance of at least one ex.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The grinder is part of the lathe

Not really, there are good techniques for proper cleanliness when using a toolpost grinder. Contrary to what one faction says, they don't ruin a lathe - lack of cleanliness and improper use can ruin a lathe.

But those words "it is old and a little sloppy" scare the heck out of me

I kinda take on projects like this all the time. Frankly the accessories are worth more than the ask price. If someone buys it and is afraid of the tool post grinder - I'll buy it for a reasonable arrangement.

Don't really trust screw on chucks much

My 12" lathe has a screw on chuck setup, and it works fine - but - I really love the Dx chuck mounting system - it's why I ended up with 2 other lathes!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not really, there are good techniques for proper cleanliness when using a toolpost grinder. Contrary to what one faction says, they don't ruin a lathe - lack of cleanliness and improper use can ruin a lathe.

I kinda take on projects like this all the time. Frankly the accessories are worth more than the ask price. If someone buys it and is afraid of the tool post grinder - I'll buy it for a reasonable arrangement.

My 12" lathe has a screw on chuck setup, and it works fine - but - I really love the Dx chuck mounting system - it's why I ended up with 2 other lathes!

You have way more experience than I do. I'd be afraid of it. And I have other options so I don't need to take any chances.

And ya, sometimes the accessories are worth more than the equipment they came with. That was certainly the case with my mill drill! The machine itself is a royal pia, but it wouldn't matter if it was scrap. The stuff I got with it was amazing! Best of all, I didn't even know it till the guy started piling it all into my truck! For a while I was thinking it might even come with a motorcycle and a lawn tractor. By the time he was done that's all there was left in his shop!

And ya, I love my D1-5 chuck. It isn't the most common cam lock, but I've been able to find or make everything I have needed for it.

For sure! But the question in my mind is did the owner use such proper techniques or was he in a hurry cutting corners frequently. My guess is this lathe was used in an industrial setting and was probably used quite a lot. Any way you cut it, it looks like a pretty good deal if you have the space and ability to move it.

By the way he also has a 60 ton punch press he is giving away for free! Weighs about 15,000lbs!o_O

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
And ya, I love my D1-5 chuck

D1-x mounts are great. I've helped a couple of members with ill fitting chucks, as sometimes offshore ones don't fit the standard taper very well. One machine had the taper machined and ground at the wrong angle! I have no idea... but we fixed him up, as there was just enough meat to correct it.

D1-x has to be the fiddlest fit on the planet! it pays to buy a expensive but accurate backplate for your chuck when mounting a new one. many headaches avoided that way.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Its all speculation unless you get access to the lathe...even then, lathes wear out from use, lack of oiling etc that have never seen a grinder. For that matter, just because there is a TPG, maybe it was used 2x in 20 years? who knows.

End of day, wear is wear. The key is to assess how much and whether you can live with it (A little doesn't make the lathe useless, a lot can be problematic, like when the carriage stops riding on the V lol) or fix it. (reconditioning, BIG job, make sure the lathe is worthy).

btw, Grinders don't put out much abrasive except when dressing (then its a free for all). I try and give extra protection when dressing, e.g. cut out carbard box to contain a lot of it. If you've much grinding wheel wear is very slow so there is not much abrasive come of during grinding. If you example the sludge after the coolant dries(yes, I lead a charmed life :) ) its chips (fine) not abrasive. I have a T&CG set up for cylindrical grinding so don't often use a lathe, and while I'd prefer to minimize it, I'm am not adverse to it. I can only internal grind at the moment on the lathe for example. Everything gets sealed off with paper twoels held down with pot magnets (rags can be dangerous around machinery).

as for the spindle, in larger sizes (threaded is the norm with smaller sizes), a threaded nose is pain in the rear compared to cam locks However it limits very few things you can so is infinitely better than no lathe :)

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Based on all the comments, I'm starting to think I have the wrong idea of what this tool post grinder thing is.

What does a tool post grinder on a lathe look like? And what is the point of having it on the lathe instead of over on the bench?

Is this for sharpening tools (what I originally assumed) or is this like a Dremel grinder that is used like a tool bit on the lathe - eg for truing up chuck jaws?