• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Nuts!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Well, really, just one nut! Can anybody in the west GTA lend my something to get a 2-3/16" nut off the top of my mill/drill's spindle?

Boring back story...

So I'm finally closing in on moving my mill/drill down to the basement. @Canadium lent me his engine hoist. I've pulled off the power feed, DRO, X and Y tables and the motor. I finally realized that the only reasonable way to pick up the head with the hoist is to remove the belt cover. That means the spindle pulley must come off. The 2-3/16 nut securing the pulley is far bigger than any wrench or socket I have. Even bigger than my slip-joint pliers. I even tried latching onto it with a 6" C clamp but the flats on the nut are too small to get a solid grip.

Canadian Tire had nothing. Home Depot has a 15 inch adjustable that MIGHT be big enough. Is says 2 inch capacity but appears to open slightly wider. Maybe enough but I'm probably going to take a trip to Princess Auto tomorrow. Their web site shows both an 18" adjustable and a socket (1 inch drive) that might work. Of course, I don't have any other 1" socket stuff--they ought to have a simple L bar, right? Couldn't find that on their web site.

BTW, I'm worried about how hard it is going to be to get this pulley off. A lot of stuff on this machine has been torqued WAY tighter than needed. The screws in the retainers at the end of the X and Y lead screws were so tight I though the Allen wrench was going to break. Total overkill.

Craig
PS Some people might use a chisel to walk the nut off. That's a hard no from me. No. H@ll no.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Post some pictures please, I'm not following:confused:

Got a pipe wrench?

How did you get it out of basement in the first place?

trlvn

Ultra Member
Too dark for pictures right now.

This one was not in a basement. I brought it home with a lift gate truck and parked it temporarily in the garage. "Temporarily" has been over 2 years now! For the sake of marital harmony, it would be a good thing if "we" could get that parking space back!!

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Too dark for pictures right now.

This one was not in a basement. I brought it home with a lift gate truck and parked it temporarily in the garage. "Temporarily" has been over 2 years now! For the sake of marital harmony, it would be a good thing if "we" could get that parking space back!!

Craig

Two years:eek:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Well, really, just one nut! Can anybody in the west GTA lend my something to get a 2-3/16" nut off the top of my mill/drill's spindle?

Boring back story...

So I'm finally closing in on moving my mill/drill down to the basement. @Canadium lent me his engine hoist. I've pulled off the power feed, DRO, X and Y tables and the motor. I finally realized that the only reasonable way to pick up the head with the hoist is to remove the belt cover. That means the spindle pulley must come off. The 2-3/16 nut securing the pulley is far bigger than any wrench or socket I have. Even bigger than my slip-joint pliers. I even tried latching onto it with a 6" C clamp but the flats on the nut are too small to get a solid grip.

Canadian Tire had nothing. Home Depot has a 15 inch adjustable that MIGHT be big enough. Is says 2 inch capacity but appears to open slightly wider. Maybe enough but I'm probably going to take a trip to Princess Auto tomorrow. Their web site shows both an 18" adjustable and a socket (1 inch drive) that might work. Of course, I don't have any other 1" socket stuff--they ought to have a simple L bar, right? Couldn't find that on their web site.

BTW, I'm worried about how hard it is going to be to get this pulley off. A lot of stuff on this machine has been torqued WAY tighter than needed. The screws in the retainers at the end of the X and Y lead screws were so tight I though the Allen wrench was going to break. Total overkill.

Craig
PS Some people might use a chisel to walk the nut off. That's a hard no from me. No. H@ll no.
Measure it and I might have the right socket. I’m pretty sure I’m good up to 2-1/2” for sockets

trlvn

Ultra Member
Actually, the Busy Bee manual has a parts diagram that shows the nut. Number "2" below with the arrow.

Craftex B1977 parts_1.jpg

trlvn

Ultra Member
Measure it and I might have the right socket. I’m pretty sure I’m good up to 2-1/2” for sockets
It measures 2.150 which I believe is in the tolerance for 2-3/16 (aka 2.188). OTOH, you are near Elmira*, right. That's over a 3 hour round trip. I appreciate the offer but that's a bit far.

Thanks, I still owe you for helping get it loaded when i bought it!

Craig

* I did a project at Martin Feed Mills in the early 1980's!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That's the same thing as my machine. Have you removed the head from the column, what are you trying to lift?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I could ship one to you by o/N courier on Monday and then you return it regular post.......

Nice thing about the big sizes is that bigger than ideal still works.

All farm stuff has big nuts......

LOL

trlvn

Ultra Member
I could ship one to you by o/N courier on Monday and then you return it regular post.......
I appreciate the offer but the shipping costs would be more than the price of a tool at Princess Auto. And I really want to get this done ASAP.

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No problem. If it turns out they don't have what you need, the offer still stands. The alternative is a drive down to Chatham or I could even meet you half way.....

Love to help if I can. I certainly have equipment big enough for it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

What are you trying to lift? A chain passed through the column should suffice.

trlvn

Ultra Member

What are you trying to lift? A chain passed through the column should suffice.
Appears to be the same nut as shown in your thread:

15543_33904f6777870a51562554184fe0cdeb.jpg

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ya, I used a pipe wrench to get the the nut off, it was the pulley that gave me grief.