• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New to me mill

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
my sleigh has new mill in it I went and picked it up today, the guy I got it from had borrowed a shop crane and with the sling we were able to hoist it over the edge of the trailer and inside got it all strapped down and home I went it was about an hour away in kinburn.
PDM-30 from king the guy was a knife maker and didn't use it much everything is tight and nothing worn or abused.
I have started the disassembly as I am under the gun to get the spot back in the garage but with some days off coming soon I hope to get it downstairs by Sunday or Monday. It didn't come with much for tooling just a few collets so I will be in the market for some additions for sure.
I am pretty stoked to get this and have both lathe and milling machine.

Attachments

• IMG_5260.JPG
    IMG_5260.JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5263.JPG
    IMG_5263.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5265.JPG
    IMG_5265.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 42

Everett

Super User
Awesome! I had a mill-drill (Craftex equivalent to your King) and did a lot of fun work with it. I actually would have kept it if I had the space at the time. For their size they can punch above their weight if used correctly. Nice that you got the R8 spindle too, more accessories seem to be available.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great find! Merry Christmas!!

Did you get a manual with it? I see that the King Canada site has both an Instruction Manual and a Service Manual for that model.

If you don't mind...how much?

Craig

Thanks I downloaded the manuals, the breakdown is good I will have to re read the other from what I saw didn't see much but there is lots on the net about them. I paid 1800, he loaded on trailer so that made it easier for me new they are 2700 plus 350 for the stand I think I got a fair deal, I had a week till I could pick it up so lots of chances for buyers remorse but none surfaced.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice mill!

We have the same 2 machines - Craftex B2227L and this mill.

What are the chances? Pretty good apparently.
That is pretty cool, I hadn't planned it that way it just kinda happened for sure its good to know other people with the same machine, both machines have lots of potential and lots of little mods and add ons in the future and should keep me busy this winter.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome! I had a mill-drill (Craftex equivalent to your King) and did a lot of fun work with it. I actually would have kept it if I had the space at the time. For their size they can punch above their weight if used correctly. Nice that you got the R8 spindle too, more accessories seem to be available.
I think I will be happy for the work I want to do, I have ordered a r8 er32 collet holder for my collets
I also see kbc has $100 off of orders of $575 so I will have to check them as well, I don't think it will take much to get to $600.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Hope the move downstairs goes safely and easily. Wish I could offer to help but you're a bit of a drive!

Do you have a 240 V circuit available or will you be needing to get an electrician?

Did you get a vise with it? Hold down kit? As they say, "a million here, a million there, pretty soon it starts to add up to real money"! ;)

Craig

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had 220 wired in earlier this year for another project so it is there, will need a different plug so not too bad.
I found an engine hoist similar to the one your borrowed from Canadium for $125 so I got it, I have a stand for my lathe, another project so I figured I would get some future use from it I know one person had said to me they are nice to have but they don't store well so we will see if I keep it long term but I know I will be able to break even on that.
I have a cheap angle vise for now I am looking for one in the 4-6 inch range with 5 inch maybe todays choice tomorrow it will be the 4 inch and next week maybe 6 inch.
I have recently been voulentold to be on call from 4pm to 8am for work so I get some extra pay for that so I have decided for that sacrifice, tools and metal will be my reward, I think its time soon for a qctp for my lathe as well.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I started with a 4 inch vise that turned out to be originally designed for a horizontal mill. The jaw depth is about 1.25" which is somewhat limiting. I snagged an older 6 inch vise with the more-typical 1.75" jaw depth. It trammed in pretty nicely but it is darn heavy for those times you need it out of the way.

To me, I think a 5 inch vise looks like the right size for our class of milling machine. Big enough for most things we're likely to do and not so big as require a bodybuilding course before moving it.

I also have squirrelled away 1/2 of a 2-piece vise. I've got the moving jaw portion and I imagine I could rig up something to act as the fixed jaw. OTOH, I haven't looked at it in over a year. Can't remember what size it is!

Craig

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Nice machine - I am converting one to CNC but not King brand. 6" vise works great on mine - table on mine is only like 1" narrower then on BP2 and the same as BP at 9". I think on yours its 8" so if you want a smaller 6" not 9" opening it would fit great.

Most people (almost all???) don't use any swivel bases and most brand name vices do not come with a swivel base (its an option only).

New 2700? They are new on sale at KMS Calgary for 2200 - been that way for a while now - plus 5% AB tax. You must live at an expensive province!