• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New old member in Calgary

I have no idea where this'll wind up, maybe on the now members page so I'll hit 'Create Thread' and see what happens.

Bill Perkins
OK, so after a while and a bunch of page reloads this showed up where I hoped but man, and I hate to start out out bitching, this site is so far nothing like self-evident

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Hey Bill welcome. If you scroll up and click on your name on the top banner near the right side you will be able to see your post history and any trophys or likes you have revived, Enjoy!

Hey Bill welcome. If you scroll up and click on your name on the top banner near the right side you will be able to see your post history and any trophys or likes you have revived, Enjoy!
Dabbler was telling me he thought you'd said something about knowing a supplier north of town who does used screw compressors cheap ? ?

And wtf's a 'trophy' all about, I haven't done a single noteworthy thing around here as yet ? ?

Finally for the moment, do I have to start three new threads to convince the Paranoia Dep't I'm not a 'bot, or what. I have a bunch of Pratt-Burnerd chucks that are new to all intents that I want to list and I'd like to get on with literally giving them away.

I'm looking fwd to the gig at MT, I've known George since about 1967 and it'll be fun to get out there again, haven't seen everyone for about 6 months. The thing though, HOW do I register, that page is as convoluted as the rest of stuff around here. There's a link that promises the world and takes me to a domain that's For Sale ! ? ! ?

Last edited by a moderator:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
God I hope because right now it's like girls in high school . . .
We either need an admin to stop this thread or to provide a Meatloaf link to a cheesy 80's ballad.

High school. Girls. No wonder I ended up working my frustrations out on 16 gauge cold rolled.

Suddenly I feel inadequate and awkward all over again.

@Admin: please tell me Bill gets no trophy points for this.

Jeeeese.

Attachments

• cheesey.jpg
    cheesey.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 3
Welcome Bill. It starts to make sense with time.[/QUOT
We either need an admin to stop this thread or to provide a Meatloaf link to a cheesy 80's ballad.

High school. Girls. No wonder I ended up working my frustrations out on 16 gauge cold rolled.

Suddenly I feel inadequate and awkward all over again.

@Admin: please tell me Bill gets no trophy points for this.

Jeeeese.
Dude, I'm thinking that if I got that far up your nose that fast I'm deserving of some serious effin' trophies : )

I'll give you that :)
You wrote, "Insomniacs like me will one day rule the world—we just need a nap first." Melatonin, less coffee late in the day, no sugar, medicinal pot, no staring into computers late at nite, like now ? ?

(I like the 'Edit' feature, I can make it so I think I look smarter than I think I actually am; a narcissist's wet dream : ) )

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
LOL Grasshopper. Don't tease me with that junior league Melatonin/warm milk/low light stuff. I've been to multiple sleep schools across Canada, injected with drugs that Barnum & Bailey buy case-lot for their Circus elephants, but still I can't sleep properly after almost 50 yrs. As MicroSoft says, "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Interestingly enough, the last sleep clinic I was at in the late 80's (I think it was University of Toronto...but I could be wrong), noted that inhalation of carbon particulate may be conducive to better sleep patterns. I thought this was curious because as a child I had a lot of Lionel model trains, which I often fell asleep next to. I loved their smell. Turns out that when the carbon brushes used in these trains (now they are graphite-based, or brushless) rubbed against the armature (if I have my motor mechanics correct) they produced the same characteristic "burnt" smell that I love when working these days in my shop with metal (welding, grinding, sanding, etc).

So a good lawyer (or Saul Goodman, in my case) would say my attraction to metal working is both physiological and emotional.

Yeah, that's right, tell my wife next time you see her...I have a medical reason for filling the garage with welders, ironworkers, slip rolls, magnetic press breaks and 20" industrial disk grinders. It's a condition. And I can't help myself.

Perhaps I've said too much.

Last edited:
View attachment 1966 View attachment 1967 View attachment 1968 View attachment 1967 View attachment 1966
LOL Grasshopper. Don't tease me with that junior league Melatonin/warm milk/low light stuff. I've been to multiple sleep schools across Canada, injected with drugs that Barnum & Bailey buy case-lot for their Circus elephants, but still I can't sleep properly after almost 50 yrs. As MicroSoft says, "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Interestingly enough, the last sleep clinic I was at in the late 80's (I think it was University of Toronto...but I could be wrong), noted that inhalation of carbon particulate may be conducive to better sleep patterns. I thought this was curious because as a child I had a lot of Lionel model trains, which I often fell asleep next to. I loved their smell. Turns out that when the carbon brushes used in these trains (now they are graphite-based, or brushless) rubbed against the armature (if I have my motor mechanics correct) they produced the same characteristic "burnt" smell that I love when working these days in my shop with metal (welding, grinding, sanding, etc).

So a good lawyer (or Saul Goodman, in my case) would say my attraction to metal working is both physiological and emotional.

Yeah, that's right, tell my wife next time you see her...I have a medical reason for filling the garage with welders, ironworkers, slip rolls, magnetic press breaks and 20" industrial disk grinders. It's a condition. And I can't help myself.

Perhaps I've said too much.

No, not at all. I have a woman friend with the same difficulty. Hers I suspect has its roots in a family dynamic where her psychologically unwell mother treated her badly, uniquely amoung the four kids. Unhappy story . . .

Me ? ? I'm the victim of a father who said a million times, "If you want it done right, do it yourself" and throughout my childhood built up a perfectly good wood shop in the basement, starting with a Delta Multi-shop, I'll call it, that had a table saw, drill press, disk sander, jointer and jig saw, all of which were driven from the one motor in the thing. So, saw a board - hook it up as a table saw, drill a hole - set up the drill press, sand something - set up the disk sander. It gave entirely new meaning to the phrase, "Pain in the a**", as did the jointer as only its front table was adjustable. As a kid it took me a long time to figure why I never could get a straight cut with the thing because I still thought that big companies always did things properly.

During recovery from a serious heart attack (ten years thru the '30s in Imperial Oil's Inglewood refinery and a pack of Buckingham butt ends a day'll do that for you, plus of course the standard sh*t diet we all ate back then) he made standalone machines from that collection. He also bought a lot of stuff from Crown Assets Disposal, a 12" x 36" Walker Turner wood lathe amoung it all and beautifully rebuilt it to as-new appearance and functionality. I kept it all for a few years after his death and steadily upgraded to the present day.
Although I sold that lathe to Modern Tool back about 1971 I bought another one, a Delta 12", and rebuilt it to the state you can see in the pic. The compound slide rest seen there Dad bought for the WT and that and South Bend's, "How to Run a Lathe" were my introduction to metalworking.
In the lower rightmost section of the cabinet is the taper attachment from my much loved Holbrook C10 12" x 20" 3,500lb toolroom lathe, my second copy of which is also seen below. I have another, with the green worklight, one sitting in its crate at Modern Tool.

Attachments

• Delta_Wood_Lathe.jpg
    Delta_Wood_Lathe.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Holbrook_C10.jpg
    Holbrook_C10.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 14
  • C10_Offsite.jpg
    C10_Offsite.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Finally for the moment, do I have to start three new threads to convince the Paranoia Dep't I'm not a 'bot, or what. I have a bunch of Pratt-Burnerd chucks that are new to all intents that I want to list and I'd like to get on with literally giving them away.

Welcome Bill.

Head of the Paranoia Department here.
You can go ahead and create your new threads. There's a three post requirement for links not to get stuck in moderation, but you have passed three in this thread alone.

I welcome any other feedback on the forum's usability you have. It's a work in progress.

What types of projects are you working on?

JW

Welcome Bill.

You can go ahead and create your new threads. There's a three post requirement for links not to get stuck in moderation, but you have passed three in this thread alone.

I welcome any other feedback on the forum's usability you have. It's a work in progress.

JW
Oh God, what types of projects am I not working on. I'll get back to you on all that, right now I'm making munnee hunnee to fund it all

Welcome Bill.

JW
OK, some feedback:
In the classifieds the 'Edit' function dies after a while and that's a problem because of course we want to be able to update our ads in, for instance, the case where buyers have asked questions not addressed in the listing.

Also, we need to be able to delete our ads when the goods are sold, or scrub the original text and put 'Sold' in place so that buyers don't think the item has mysteriously vanished. It's a courtesy to those with an interest.

Finally, how does one 'Bold' a listing's title text, I see some ads that are but damned if I can see how it was done.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I know the answer to one of those questions. The bold listing title is a way to alert you if you have opened that link or not. After you click on the link it will no longer apear in bold.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Edit link dies? I’ve never seen that. How did that happen? Shouldn’t ... I’ve done a bunch of ad editing recently - I didn’t see that problem. Not saying it didn’t Bill just can’t reproduce it.