• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New Lathe!

architect

Super User
I picked up a Standard Modern 11" Series 2000 lathe this weekend all thanks to @Brent H and his son! Brent sent me the ad within 30min of it being posted and I quickly messaged. As a result of our quick draw, the seller agreed to let me see and buy first. It was a bit of a gamble as there was no information of the lathe and only pictures. The adventure involved an approximately 6-hour round trip drive from Brent's place to seller, transport to my place, then back to Brent's. For me, add another 3 hour round drive to drive to Brent's place first and then back home after! Well, the gamble paid off as it was in pretty good condition. Also picked up a drill press so my tiny home garage shop is coming together!!! I know nothing but really excited to dive in. I have more tools than time to learn them right now!

Not sure what's wrong with the site but can't upload more photos as they keep getting auto-rotated upon upload.

P.S. that's a photo of Brent and not me :D

IMG_20210110_175438.jpg

IMG_20210113_194042.jpg

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Nice. Love the happy smile that only comes from a new machine.

The electrical in your shop looks very professional.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Nice!

How much did that set you back?

What's the bed length?

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Checking out the machine:

Overall the machine was clean, oil levels were good in the apron and headstock. The ways are excellent with no real scratches or dings. The compound and cross slide are taper gibs and neither one showed any deflection in a good tug test, both dials advanced and retracted as expected and backlash was minimal. The carriage moved freely back and forth and again, backlash was minimal.
The tailstock was solid, locks all worked well and it slid on the ways nicely. It has a 3MT taper in the tailstock bore - this had some evidence of past spins but the spindle is cast iron and can be reamed clean so not a deal breaker.
Overall nothing was broken or showed signs of abuse.
Running it up- sounded great, way smoother than my lathe at home. Gear changes and speeds were easy and nothing evident to indicate headstock problems. The 11” series 2000 has a double conical bearing at the spindle and I put a dial indicator on it and it ran true - a few tenths from some bumps on the side of the chuck adaptor. The 11” sports a D1-4 camlock and this worked very well (I pulled off the 3 Jaw to check)
All around the lathe was in excellent condition and came with the 3 Jaw (inside and outside jaws), a dog drive plate, dead centre, spindle nose adaptor, a collet arbor (you could run (I think ) 4MT collets straight at the spindle nose, a lantern tool post, a 4 tool fixed tool post and the chuck keys for the cam and three jaw. There was a steady rest but we found it doesn’t match (took it anyway) and @architect picked up a brand new Aloris type piston style quick change tool post with a bunch of tool holders to put the cherry on top(so to speak).
It was a great pick and lucky to nab the lathe before anyone else.

architect

Super User
Nice!

How much did that set you back?

What's the bed length?

It's 11" by 20" and was $2500 + $200 for some quick change tool posts. It's not a killer deal but I was happy to just be able get one as they appear to go quick over here in Ontario. I also didn't want to have Brent drive this far for nothing!

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
It was a great pick @architect and WOW - what a shite load of other tooling that will be coming out in various stages - and we got contacts :p;) - could do a little happy dance if the icon was available - LOL

architect

Super User
It was a long day but really great adventure! Good thing Brent described the lathe for everyone as I have no idea lol It feels like I bought a car without learning to drive o_O

Need to wait on the next few paycheques to restock the coffers!