• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New from Red Deer AB.

turner

Glad to have found this site, my machine experience has been automotive cylinder heads. That was back in the days of the cast iron V8's, I do little cylinder head work now. I currently have a RF30 Drill/Mill, and it is the most used tool in my shop/garage. I am looking to learn and hopefully in the not to distant future acquire a smaller but quality experienced lathe. Thanks.

Everett

Super User
Hello! New here as well. I have a Busy Bee clone of the RF-30 round column too, and it's surprising what it can do with a bit of fiddling.

turner

Any mods to the Bee? I have done little other than tighten the X & Y back lash, and attach a light.
Eyes are dimming.

Everett

Super User
No mods completed yet, but working on a couple. Got some cheap digital calipers that are going to get mounted to the machine for a "less wealthy man's DRO," a new quill stop is in the works and playing with a way of re-finding center after raising/lowering the head. I would like to get a knee mill at some point but the CX603 is what I could afford for now.

turner

Looked at an "I-gage" less wealthy man's DRO at KMS, could I trust it? Much rather trust the dials for now. I stumbled across a Knee Mill last yr, the upper components looked very similar to ours, nice little machine. Unfortunately not for sale...yet! It looks as if it hasn't ran in yrs, very dusty. It is in Red Deer at an old machine shop, some day it will have to go.
I would be interested to hear what you come up with for re-finding center.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
There are a couple of posts in here somewhere on installing igaging dros. I have a set I bought at busybee attached to my mini mill. They are handy and useful. One drawback is the measurement screens update too slowly and make landing on a measurement a bit fussy. They work though and made my mill better.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
I have the igaging DRO's installed on my mill along with a shumatech DRO-550. unfortunately this is no longer being manufactered. There is yuri toys which uses an android phone app to connect to the the DRO's. Could also use a tablet