• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Mystery Sine Bar

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I got this with a bunch of other tooling as part of an estate buy. It's a hinged sine bar. But the top piece is a bit of a mystery.

20220413_130015.jpg

The top piece is aluminium and it is a precision slip fit to the top of the sine bar. But it is not held in place in any other way than at the sides. There are no screws to hold it at the sides.

However, it does have a tight slip fit pin on the top of it. The bottom of the pin is not machined. It is just rough. The top of the pin has wrench flats on it. The pin hole is drilled at a slight There is also a set screw on the slider that can hold the pin in place if desired. Why you would ever want to is a mystery to me.

There is no matching part. It cannot be used as a vise.

What the heck do you folks think it's for?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd say it's missing a handle or lever though. Fingers awfully close to the wheel as is

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Darren & @RobinHood

By George the pin does look like it has a wheel dressing diamond in it!

6 beers for each of you on me!

20220413_141531.jpg

So what does this missing handle or lever look like? I don't like the general idea of my fingers awfully close to the wheel......

And as luck would have it, I'm closing in on a potential surface grinder..... A few more weeks of patience......

How is this thing used?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'd install a set screw in the side of the aluminum block, to secure the diamond while dressing. it can then be removed, and the part can be ground.

great video @Brent H

@Susquatch Do you have a surface grinder?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd install a set screw in the side of the aluminum block, to secure the diamond while dressing. it can then be removed, and the part can be ground.

great video @Brent H

@Susquatch Do you have a surface grinder?

There is already a set screw there to secure the diamond dressing bar.

I do not have a surface grinder yet. But I am first in line for a small one that is coming up for sale soon. It's not a totally done deal quite yet. But I am highly optimistic. I still have to look at it. Patience is a virtue. It's definitely not a grouchy old man moment around here.