• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Moving the 3100 lbs Deckel KF2

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Moving day!

We arrived at the seller’s place at 1300h. First we set-up Dabbler’s gantry crane and moved the mill into position inside the shop. We had just enough headroom below the opened garage door.

0CDF1D4A-C511-4E57-BD9A-7204E18DA9CC.jpeg

With the mill all the way up, the trailer just slipped underneath the raised machine.

8CFA7DD4-48DB-499E-B76B-AC12DCCB28CD.jpeg

Once on the deck, we blocked the base in with wood to stop any movement during the road trip.

94DF02CC-C22D-4E85-B04C-FA7575773322.jpeg

We strapped the upper part of the main column to the four corners of the trailer frame. Also ran two straps across the base to securely hold it down. Disassembled the gantry crane, loaded it and the genie lift (it was used to set the heavy cross beam on top of the gantry legs) back on the trailer, and secured all those items with additional straps.

At 1600h we were ready for the road.

DD447262-44E8-4E9D-BF14-E6A765CB122F.jpeg

A short 30 min later we arrived back at my place. I just parked the whole thing in the garage for the night.

D2103D0C-8D29-4FD5-A85B-68C4D0ECFCBF.jpeg

Off loading will be happening tomorrow. Basically the reverse of the loading process: assemble the gantry, set the cross beam to the correct height, lift the machine just clear of the trailer deck, drive the trailer out from underneath it, lower to the ground onto blocks so that I can use a pallet jack to move the KF2 into the shop. Return the crane to @Dabbler and the trailer to @kevin.decelles. Job done.

Oh, here is a little something else that followed me home...

3A224B3E-66F7-4A01-96E0-92D988D0A3EF.jpeg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Moving day!

We arrived at the seller’s place at 1300h. First we set-up Dabbler’s gantry crane and moved the mill into position inside the shop. We had just enough headroom below the opened garage door.

View attachment 12761

With the mill all the way up, the trailer just slipped underneath the raised machine.

View attachment 12762

Once on the deck, we blocked the base in with wood to stop any movement during the road trip.

View attachment 12763

We strapped the upper part of the main column to the four corners of the trailer frame. Also ran two straps across the base to securely hold it down. Disassembled the gantry crane, loaded it and the genie lift (it was used to set the heavy cross beam on top of the gantry legs) back on the trailer, and secured all those items with additional straps.

View attachment 12764

A short 30 min later we arrived back at my place. I just parked the whole thing in the garage for the night.

View attachment 12767

Off loading will be happening tomorrow. Basically the reverse of the loading process: assemble the gantry, set the cross beam to the correct height, lift the machine just clear of the trailer deck, drive the trailer out from underneath it, lower to the ground onto blocks so that I can use a pallet jack to move the KF2 into the shop. Return the crane to @Dabbler and the trailer to @kevin.decelles. Job done.

View attachment 12766
Your place must be a fun place to be!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Moving day!

View attachment 12761

View attachment 12762

View attachment 12763

View attachment 12764

View attachment 12767

View attachment 12766
That’s a lot of straps!! Nice work

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Back in, drive-out...... thats the only way to load/unload machinery IMHO! Something serene/poetic about 3K lbs of steel suspended quietly from a gantry for a moment, waiting to touch the ground....... THEN THE CLACK OF THE DIESEL TRUCK STARTING, WOO HOOING AND HIGH-FIVES AND YOU STANDING THERE WITH A SATISFIED FEELING IN YOUR STOMACH!

Well done @RobinHood , and yeah, you suck! Very jealous, not @David_R8 jealous, but close.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As far as the number of straps: I figure nothing has ever fallen off that was strapped down by too may tie downs.

Yeah, I was really happy when the seller pointed out that the single lip cutter grinder was part of the original KF2 purchase in 1969 and he would not mind if the two stayed together. I paid extra for it. It is a Deckel SO built under licence for Deckel - just fantastic quality. Plus it came with a bunch of wheels.

francist

Super User
That’s a fantastic find. Not only is the grinder a true Deckel as opposed to a copy, but both machines sharing the same provenance is truly remarkable.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks Peter.

Frank: yes, it is nice to know the whole history of a machine. I even have the original quote and options list.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just a couple of picture of today’s unloading. We had no headroom issues as our shop is just shy of 18 feet high. Lift it off the deck just enough to clear and drive away... Sorry no pictures of it landed.

C1E2BB2D-24EE-4590-8491-D7A478A85D79.jpeg

F1AD64A3-1B55-4FA0-AF37-0627CC57C154.jpeg

Forgot to mention: there is a transport lock on the pantograph/moving spindle mechanism that was engaged to prevent things from “flopping about”. The blocks of wood you see are there to allow all three Z-axis to be bottomed out onto the base of the mill to take all the weight off the lead screws.

The machine has one power knee that moves both the master table and the milling table together in Z. Plus additional Z-axis (on the knee): one for the milling table and one for the master table so they can be positioned independently of each other.

All the axis locks were engaged during the transport as well.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Sounds like a couple of great finds. Congrats! Also, to have a shop that size, wow!!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Appreciate them.

I plan on doing a write-up on our garage/shop construction in the near future. The basics are there so that it is usable and weather tight - working on the interior now...

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Agreed. @Dabbler put a lot of though and effort into building it. I appreciated being able to use it on such short notice no less...