• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Moving my new mill

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The vendor had a 20" pallet jack so it fit the mill perfectly. The lifting bars worked splendidly!
This is all I have from the vendor's shop. It's still in the bed of my truck, but I'll photograph the delivery to tomorrow.

IMG_20190322_103526.jpg

IMG_20190322_103938.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good score for a good guy! Did the mambo vise come with?
You may borrow my patent pending 'woody' emergency pin wrench if the need arises LOL

Attachments

• IMG_7654_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7654_edited-1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7676_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7676_edited-1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What size and make is it? What does it weigh? How did you get onto the bed of your truck?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
So it is a Modern Tool supplied Precision Matthews 935VS. The specs are here

The loading bay door was 5" taller than the bay of my truck, and we used a Loading dock ramp to ease it down to the bed of the truck. Those pesky lifting bars were too wide to fit across the bed so we had to cant the mill at an angle and use the bars at an angle also. Raised it on the lifting bars, lowered the jack and pulled out. Then (the long part) lowered it right to the bed of the truck.

In the morning I'll post a pic of it on the truck if you like.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Its just 1300 lbs. Still it would be a strain for longer distance on a small pickup like Tacoma.

Its 1ph so no need to worry about power.

Great buy - enjoy!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It is 3 phase 2 horsepower. I have a 2HP VFD that I share amongst common current motors.

It was tarped and oiled, and I'm just taking a break before unloading. Pictures soon!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Wh
So it is a Modern Tool supplied Precision Matthews 935VS. The specs are here

The loading bay door was 5" taller than the bay of my truck, and we used a Loading dock ramp to ease it down to the bed of the truck. Those pesky lifting bars were too wide to fit across the bed so we had to cant the mill at an angle and use the bars at an angle also. Raised it on the lifting bars, lowered the jack and pulled out. Then (the long part) lowered it right to the bed of the truck.

In the morning I'll post a pic of it on the truck if you like.
Where did you get the lifting bars from, or did you make them John? Your mill has the same issue as my ironworker: too narrow for a pallet jack.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I got them from Modern tool, but in a couple of weeks I'll have a set of my own. I'm also looking to buy a 20" pallet jack because it will fit all my machines...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Here's part 2 of the move: Unloading off the truck and getting it into the garage...
Setting up the gantry crane:
1 setting up the crane 2.JPG

Getting ready to lift:
2 ready to lift r.JPG

Ready to lower:
3 ready to lower r.JPG

Rollin' it in with a little help...
4 rollin it in with help.JPG

Attachments

• 2 ready to lift.JPG
    2 ready to lift.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3 ready to lower.JPG
    3 ready to lower.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4 rollin it in with help.JPG
    4 rollin it in with help.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I got them from Modern tool, but in a couple of weeks I'll have a set of my own. I'm also looking to buy a 20" pallet jack because it will fit all my machines...
Did you buy or rent them? I sure could have used those in some of my moves. Where are you sourcing your pallet jack from? Asking because ULINE makes an adjustable width model.

Last edited: