• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

mill power feed mount improvement

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been using this Chinese (Align knockoff) X-axis power feed on my RF-45 mill for a couple years. Mostly it worked OK but I perpetually had to fiddle-fart with the alignment (shall I say misalignment) of the motor gear & lead screw gear. Once set up it purrs like a kitten. But a few hours of traversing & its starts growling ugly again.

The culprit is the mounting plate assembly. Its intended to be a bolt-on affair. An adapter casting is fixed to the table by 2 bolts that 'set screw' into the pocket. Trouble is, the table pocket has substantial taper & is rough casting, so the bolts have nothing substantial to bite onto. They eventually slip on the casting & the motor assembly slides out of gear alignment. After a few to many re-adjustments the (cast aluminum) bracket finally cracked. I found out Shars sells the plate combo for 50$U but I wanted something better.

Attachments

• IMG_6426_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6426_edited-1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6432_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6432_edited-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6433_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6433_edited-1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6439_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6439_edited-1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6441_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6441_edited-1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6444_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6444_edited-1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 20

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I had this idea to replace my lead screw end casting with a plate that served double duty for the power feed mount. I also wanted to incorporate a proper bronze bushing for the lead screw to run in. My stock end casting is the classic shaft running in a cast iron hole. It does have an oiler. (btw once this style of PF assembly is mounted, the oiler nipple becomes essentially inaccessible so you have to disassemble & give it a squirt.) I think a bushing was a good idea because I could see some wear on the CI hole, I suspect self-inflicted adjusting the gears closer on the shaft & putting some down pressure on it?

Here is my wood mock-up. I'm not sure if its v3 or v5 but this method saved me a lot of wasted metal because I only had one chunk to play with. Its always fun to try & guess WTF was going through the minds of the designers. Its 95% metric mill but the bolts are 5/16-18 (yup even says so in the manual). After many trial & error measurements, I determined the bolt/shaft spacing is definitely nominal millimeters. Or maybe odd-ball inch, but just not drilled & tapped accurately? Oh well, eventually I had a layout I thought would work.

btw - what tapping fluid do you guys recommend for MDF wood? :)

Attachments

• IMG_6445_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6445_edited-1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6446_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6446_edited-1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6447_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6447_edited-1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 16

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And here is the end result. I was going to notch out the bottom of the plate a/p the wood template but after mulling it over, a 45-deg corner lop off worked fine & preserves more meat in the plate. The plan was to permanent Loctite the bushing in the plate but I could not find any of those oiler nipples on-line. I want the ball nipple to face horizontal so I can get at it with an oiler. But if I make the bushing permanent now it will be a impossible to drill & tap that. Its a tight press fit now so I'll just leave that way until it shows up. The one I have coming is M6x1 tapped in. But looking at my lathe & mill, seems like they are pressed in? Anybody know where to get these? I see lots of grease fittings with a male nipple but not these flush mount oil type.

Well, so far so good. The table traverses quieter than it ever did manual mode or power feed because I can establish the right gear mesh & it stays put. I think that bronze bushing really helped too by removing the lead screw free play that was developing.

Attachments

• IMG_6466_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6466_edited-1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6459_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6459_edited-1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6474_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6474_edited-1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6475_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6475_edited-1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6476_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6476_edited-1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6477_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6477_edited-1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6478_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6478_edited-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 22

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
But looking at my lathe & mill, seems like they are pressed in? Anybody know where to get these?

Look for “gits ball oiler”. You should be able to find the real ones from Gits Manufacturing; knock-off ones are available from other sources. Motion Industries sells the Gits ones ($$). Yes, the flush mounted ones are pressed in.

Really nice solution and repair.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dang! Thank you. I should have asked that question here a week ago because I was not getting many hits aside from McMaster Carr. Yes, these look like what's on my machines & smaller diameter which is also what I'm after. I saw on a Stefan.G vid where he drilled out his old ones & replaced with fancy-schmanzy red ball (assume euro) ones, but I lost the scent of where he sourced them.

So do you install them with Loctite or something so they withstand the oil injection pressure & don't pop out? I also read something about an installation tool - maybe a tube profile or something to press on the ring. My lathe ones are troublesome but when I had certain components apart I freed them up with thinner. I think they got schmegged up with that waxy orange packing goo they put on new machines, I found it in all kinds of orfices it didn't belong.

Attachments

• SNAG-12-20-2017 0005.jpg
    SNAG-12-20-2017 0005.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What I bought on Ali. They cost me a fortune! :) But the way my stuff gets delivered it will arrive Sept-2018 so I was figuring on making my own :/ Ok, I was searching on 'Zerk', maybe that's the issue? Are Gits more orientated to oil? (crazy names!)

Attachments

• SNAG-12-20-2017 0006.jpg
    SNAG-12-20-2017 0006.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 12

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The ones you bought will work; the price certainly is right.

The Gits style oilers are just a press fit. No need for locktite. Their bases have a nice bevel which aids in getting them started in the hole. I just took a socket of the correct size and carefully drove them home.

Yes, I did get mine from McMaster-Carr.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I meant to add that I also considered the power feed attachment style like the big boy machines favor - where the motor box unit hangs down vertically vs. laying horizontal like mine. I would have preferred that but I see on these larger units they include bevel gear, hardware, shims & other goodies specific to that class of machine that would be hard to replicate on mine. Actually, units like mine look like a bit of afterthought. They lopped off a chunk of the ring casting (that normally would encompass the lead screw) to space it relative to the end of the table. The gear reduction is 2 plain gears - small one in the power unit drives a larger bolt-on.

I don't like the extra weight & stick-out which is another reason why I opted for an 0.5" aluminum end plate vs. steel. I have not detected any bow on my table though. I could improve on their bracket that mounts to the motor body with something more meaty but I'll see how this goes. Hopefully the main PITA issue is dealt with.

I also didn't install the shut-off switch thingy because it conflicts with my homebrew table stop positioner which I really like & use a lot. So I run a bit of risk there when I drive to 7-11 in between power passes. But I did have a hindsight idea - maybe install a brass shear pin in the coupler vs. the 4mm steel roll pin. Details, details...

Attachments

• SNAG-12-20-2017 0008.jpg
    SNAG-12-20-2017 0008.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Try for a press fit and if the hole accidently goes oversized use green locktight and tell people that's what you meant to do.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Also shear pins are always a fantastic idea. But if you don't have one the machine always finds a weak link. Do you see what I mean?
576_1513832886614.jpeg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I actually saw those but didn't read carefully apparently. "Lot 20" - does that mean 20 in a package or that price for each?

DOH! says right there.
Each bid for 20 PCS!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As Alex mentioned, I would go with a brass shear pin iso the roll pin if you don’t use limit switches. Given the small amount of time required to make one vs the amount of damage a crash can cause: I would opt for the former.

Good methodical approach and solution to an issue caused by marginal factory parts.