• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Metal working trades.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Since I can not currently find any work as a welder Apprentice, I am thinking about picking up a different trade within the same field. What is the main difference between sheet metal working and welding? Would a sheet metal worker, or a metal fabricator be doing more hands on work with metal than a welder, while still doing a fair amount of welding? I do really enjoy welding and would not want to give it up completely for a job that uses mostly CNC machinery to shape metal. But what would be the average amount of fabrication a welder would take up in his career?

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
A millwright generally just maintains, repairs, and installs industrial machinery. All the welding they are qualified to do is tack weld the parts and allow a welder to complete the joint. And taking into account the fact that I have no left peripheral vision makes it not suitable for me to work in that setting. So which trade besides millwright would welding be most beneficial to?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Working as a millwright 5 years back i probably spent 20 hours a week welding in catwalks or welding on machines. Mostly big structural supports with a stickwelder. Some millwrights spend most of there time welding others put things together with a magdrill and bolts. Millwright is a good trade if your ok with long hours and getting dirty.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
What types of settings/environments do most welders work in? Following the positive results I received in the welding pre apprenticeship I took, I still have hope of success as a welder; but looking closer at the big picture I don't feel very confident working in a very fast paced environment with so much going on around you. Almost every job posting for a welder describes it to be a very fast paced environment. My mind's processing speed is below average and there are number of other disabilities that make me struggle to do everything correct without error when working quickly. Doing the welding itself would be no problem since most welding processes are slow; but I fear that it may be difficult to do all the other tasks that come before and after welding the joint correctly if things are going too fast and I continue to make mystakes or missunderstand others.