• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Metal gauge?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I have to patch a couple holes in some aluminum. I cut one small patch out that measured 14 gauge, but that seems pretty beefy.

It’s not really strength important, it’s not structural, it’s not weight bearing.

For an example I need to cover three 2” holes.

I’m assuming 18-20 gauge will be fine.

What say you guys?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think an image is needed to appreciate what you are trying to accomplish???

Chicken lights

F54990DE-7244-4855-A7C5-B0E15D11B391.jpeg 80C56489-A46F-44A1-9D59-23A5F4416419.jpeg

Under the bunk over the years had various holes added, for wiring or plumbing whatever. Piece of plywood was covering one for fricks sake.

Chicken lights

A7713F77-9FBB-475C-82AF-B7F5829324D8.jpeg A77CC765-DE1B-431A-BBA9-B1605BCF1E16.jpeg
I don’t actually know what gauge they gave me, but that’ll work fine.
I guess using a shear is a thing of the past? Laser and water cutting have really taken over

Chicken lights

ED5DA96F-9F1B-46F7-A519-94B3F52C271D.jpeg 016E5E73-D310-408B-92CD-49C8CFEA99C6.jpeg

There’s a plastic storage tray that fits under the bunk. There’s a metal separator wall between the bunk and storage underneath. That wall got moved for something years ago so the tray doesn’t fit.
If I want to move the wall I have to figure out what I’m doing with the patch because the wall would sit on the patch.
I wanted to see what was under what I was trying to patch. The original panel is probably 10-12 gauge thick.

So now I’m staring at a 2’x3’ hole in my truck floor trying to come up with a plan :D

Brent H

Ultra Member
Suggestions:

Moon pool: not in the water sense but for sneaking out of your truck?

Very mini sunken hot tub?

Ejection hole for passengers?

On the road rest room - just let'er fly as you drive by?

I probably have a piece of steel that would fit that? - Mig weld back in patches over the holes?

Chicken lights

Suggestions:

Moon pool: not in the water sense but for sneaking out of your truck?

Very mini sunken hot tub?

Ejection hole for passengers?

On the road rest room - just let'er fly as you drive by?

I probably have a piece of steel that would fit that? - Mig weld back in patches over the holes?
It’s all aluminum under there. If there was other bracing I would’ve removed the original patch and just used the new one, but I don’t think it’s strong enough. Right in that spot I carry 150 pounds of tire chains and other tools, I don’t need them coming through the floor.

That WOULD be handy to have a second exit, uh sure officer my wallets in the back hang on....

gerritv

Gerrit
I lost a girlfriend once due to water from a puddle coming into the footwell on my 1961 sprite. She wasn't amused at all.

Sandwiching the original and not-metal panels with that adhesive should outlast the surrounding materials. I repaired a Rambler station wagon floor with a similar approach, added lots of pop rivets to be sure.

gerrit

historicalarms

Ultra Member
one more thing to build...a long 1/2" rod with a handle welded on one end and a bent hook on the other to fish $hit out of that hole ...never fails but the thing you need is wayyyy back in there. Every new item put in there push's the more important stuff that was put in first further back.

Chicken lights

one more thing to build...a long 1/2" rod with a handle welded on one end and a bent hook on the other to fish $hit out of that hole ...never fails but the thing you need is wayyyy back in there. Every new item put in there push's the more important stuff that was put in first further back.
I’ve got a couple custom 5th wheel pullers that get assigned various duties besides pulling the handle

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Ha Ha Ha, ya I did too, that fifth wheel lock jerk was always covered with dirty ol' grease so it never seen the inside of the truck.

Oh Ya....and make sure that jar of emergency fuel conditioner your going to carry in there has the lid on tight...that $hit will soak into everything and stink for months... and it seems to have a "reviving agent" built into it that is invigorated every hot day when summer comes.

Chicken lights

C0B93654-E77B-40E2-96FE-3FFE7FB101AD.jpeg 2E888533-6767-483F-8D04-8A9F09E2F3C0.jpeg Putting the tire chains back in their home today, discovered the latch for the door had a broken bolt. Which led to me finding wet insulation, on the side I didn’t have all apart. Which led to me removing the latch to fix the broken bolt and making another patch panel. Then might as well cut down the 2x4’s to length. Broke a screwdriver tip along the way and found the missing Johnson bar after buying a new one today. And now I can’t put anything else away until the insulation is dry.

One of those “quick” jobs that takes four hours :D