• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Making a new Dial Indicator Crystal

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Here's a video I just put up on making an new crystal for a dial indicator. I usually just buy watchmakers crystals for a few dollars from ebay, but they are not available in sizes this large. I ended up making a rotating tail stock pressure plate that worked well, more effort than the indicator warranted but hopefully it sees additional use. This video should be 5 minutes but somehow I droned on for almost 17. And thats with a lot left on the cutting room floor.....the editor needs a stern talking to. Making a slick video is lot harder than it looks!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Great video! One minor curiosity for me, though...at around 5:13, it seems like the 'live centre' isn't running very concentric with the headstock side. Given your design, I don't understand how that could be?

Otherwise, very much enjoyed seeing something new!

Craig

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Great video! One minor curiosity for me, though...at around 5:13, it seems like the 'live centre' isn't running very concentric with the headstock side. Given your design, I don't understand how that could be?

Thanks Craig.

I noticed that too. The press of the bearings on the shaft worked out well, and centre hole and OD were turned at the same set up so thats not it. The bearing outer race bore might be a bit responsible, being kind of quick and dirty work I just reamed rather that 10ths single point stuff....so there could be a bit of wobble there, but it can't be that much.

I think what it is, is that the whole rotating pad ends up not perfect inline with the lathe's axis. The rubber is so soft and grips so well that when you apply pressure with the tailstock, it could easily be off kilter a bit. I'll do a test and press the metal flat surfaces together, if the wobble went away that would explain it