• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Magnifier ?

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Any one got one they like ?
Trying to do some fine sharpening work on small shop made cutters.
Looked at them on Amazon, been disappointed too many times, hoping to get some advice from some who may have been down that road already.
Don't mind spending a bit of money, just hate buying junk and spending twice.

francist

Super User
I’ve had this one for a couple years and quite like it. The headband is ghastly uncomfortable so I fixed that with a bit of padding, but I do like the interchangeable lenses and I find the focal length a lot better than some others (more like 12-14 inches instead of right in front of my nose). Can’t compare it against a genuine Optivisor, I’ve never used one of those.

Note that these are a “special buy” and not always available but I saw them again at our local store a week ago so they’ve got some stock in again. How many I cannot say.

-frank
5EA9A7D6-F875-4EDC-8D9B-74D337E7CA77.png

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought some cheap glasses style magnifiers that came with 3 different magnifying powers and LED lights right on them. I think the high power is 20x and low is 10x. While the magnification and pointable light seems alright, I hate the setup because you have to the object within maybe an inch or two. And realistically 10x would be all I would ever need in the shop for a head worn apparatus. If I need more magnification I use a microscope but that is seldom for things of a metal nature ( other than digging out metal splinters from my fingers).

John Conroy

Premium Member
I too have looked for something like this on Amazon and finally ordered this one. It's weird how those carburetor jet size numbers keep getting smaller. Should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think of it but even the genuine Optivisor brand ones don't get great reviews.

visor.png

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I have been "sight challenged" for years and have tried the head mounted contraptions some but found them pretty much impossible to use...either their in the wrong orientation or the item cant be put in the right position 99% of the time.

Now I have (same as my cheap calipers) a 4" handheld magnifier stationed wherever I might need one just for "quick looks" at things...however I also have a desk lamp- magnifier combo at a couple spots if I need very good looks at things . I have looked at some very expensive models in stores (old ladies knitting & sewing shops get away with charging the most by the look of it) but can't see any benefits to them over the $50 offering by C.T. . The ones with the long spring arms are the most versatile & usable. They hold position very well and leave both hands free to manipulate the object and focal point distance between eyeballs and the glass as well as focal distance between object & glass are infinite.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
francist - do they work with your glasses? Without my glasses on I have to be within inches to focus.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I took a course @ SAIT with [mention]Janger [/mention] a few years back and had trouble reading the micrometer and rulers. That led to progressives

Beyond that I employ a couple of loupes that I got from lee valley, but nothing hands free yet for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wear glasses so I need something to put on & off quickly & sometimes extended hours. My old set needed replacing so I got this. Had pretty good reviews among the jeweler crowd. You can buy in specific lens or lens sets. I also got a screw-on mono lens that you can swing in/out for one eye magnification. Comfort wise its ok, adjustable head tension & tilt tension
https://www.gessweincanada.com/product-p/270-1020m.htm

others
https://www.gessweincanada.com/category-s/10488.htm

I also have some 19$ aliexpress high mag 'glasses' with the side LED lamps. Its ok but cheesy cheap. The higher the power, the more limited is your focal distance range. Cant fight physics.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I ordered a pair of these from Amazon. They should be here this week.
I plan on taking the magnifiers off and attaching them to a pair of prescription safety glasses.
They focus at 420mm or about 18". I will let you know how they work out.

blue.jpg

terry_g

Ultra Member
I tried them with the safety glasses that they came with and because I am very near sighted the focus was at close to 6"
from the lenses. I made up a couple plastic blocks to mount them on my spare prescription safety glasses and now the
focus is at around 18" which is much better. The field of view is narrow and the focus is plus or minus a couple inches.
I took a couple 1/4 watt resistors out of my parts box and I can read the color bands on them without a problem.
I was just noticing how dirty my keyboard is.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I forgot to mention one of the best quality magnifiers that I use when a very clear look at something small comes along. It is the "big end" glass off a rifle scope that was dismantled for one reason or another . focal length can be changed by flipping end for end. it was a good quality scope so glass is pretty much "monocular" quality for a fraction of value.

francist

Super User
francist - do they work with your glasses? Without my glasses on I have to be within inches to focus.
Yes, they do. The cheapo ones I had before did not and I had to always take my glasses off prior to using the magnifier. These ones are not like that, possibly because they sit farther away from the actual eyes (maybe 2-1/2 inches or so) and I use them all the time with my progressives on no problem.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ordered a pair of these from Amazon. They should be here this week.
I plan on taking the magnifiers off and attaching them to a pair of prescription safety glasses.
They focus at 420mm or about 18". I will let you know how they work out.

I think that should work as long as you can get them secured. I think the frame is really just just a means of spacing the magnifiers from your eyes. I think some of upscale ones like surgeons use allow slight focal adjustment by screwing the ring to correct to your vision. Others have told me its not as much an issue at close range anyways. Those look a small notch better than my AliExpress specials. I have side LED lights which is actually beneficial. I bought a high mag eyepiece like what jewelers hold in their eye. but I cant get the hang of holding an eyeball squint.

This is the add-on optiloupe I was referring to. You can just swivel it in & out if you need it
1615433213763.png

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have 2 stand magnifiers with each with a 6" 4 diopter lens for doing small work. Mostly I use jewelers loupes, the ones that you hold in your eye like a monocle.

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
I forgot to mention one of the best quality magnifiers that I use when a very clear look at something small comes along. It is the "big end" glass off a rifle scope that was dismantled for one reason or another . focal length can be changed by flipping end for end. it was a good quality scope so glass is pretty much "monocular" quality for a fraction of value.
Great idea. I kept a busted spotting scope around (got overheated in the sun and the prism shifted) just because ....... I'm cheap. Now thanks to you Viola!
Copper wire was invented by two Gxxsmiths fighting over a penny.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great idea. I kept a busted spotting scope around (got overheated in the sun and the prism shifted) just because ....... I'm cheap. Now thanks to you Viola!
Copper wire was invented by two Gxxsmiths fighting over a penny.
Yup I saved a magnifying lens out of an old photocopier and although it is smallish I find I use it quite often. I believe Japanese quality.

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
rear screen projection TV's also, with 2 lens and an adjustable focal tube per color cannon