• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Machinists precision level

John Conroy

Premium Member
I've been looking to buy a precision level for a few years now but keep gagging when I see the price of even Chinese ones. Today I bit the bullet when I found a great deal on a 12" Starrett on Kijiji. When I got it home I set it on my mill table. I thought it was perfectly level but now I see I need to do a little more work. I had been using an electronic level and it's pretty accurate but not to the standards of the Starrett.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought a used Starrett in nice shape from a guy on Hobby Machinist forum for a fair price.

** Subsequently I found out they aren't stupidly expensive brand new, at least this particular model. They don't come in the nice classic wood box & I cant say if manufacturing is farmed out like some of their indicators & such (not that that's necessarily a bad thing). **

**edit, my bad, referenced the wrong length model**

I feel this model fits my needs, way more accurate than anything I have in the shop, but not crazy fussy to calibrate or read like the more accurate ones.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for correction. I went back & edited my post because I referenced the 6" vs. 12" which is cheaper for that reason. And yes Amazon is more $ than KBC in this case.
You did well on your purchase. Looks like I paid ~1/2 for mine too, so there are deals out there. Its a nice unit.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I spent some time getting the mill and lathe levelled today. The mill was very close but the lathe was way off. I have threaded adjusters on all 4 corners of both machines so it didn't take long to get them dialed in.

I checked the lathe bed in 3 locations to see if it is twisted but they all check the same.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Exactly how I checked mine. So do you mean your lathe had no appreciable twist but bed is sitting at an angle in the long axis? That's the case of mine now because I have a healthy garage pad slope & at the min max of these particular screw adjuster pads. Headstock end is slightly lower than tailstock end. I was ready to rig up a way to jack up the headstock or make longer studs so also level in that orientation. A machinist friend said don't worry about that as much, it doesn't really harm anything; unnecessary rotational twist is the one that should be minimized. I guess I'd feel better if it was level all way round but correcting the feet is on the '101-ways to use a new welder' list :)

John Conroy

Premium Member
I checked it for twist before I adjusted anything and it seemed to be out of level the same amount along it's entire length. It was high at the front and at the headstock end. I have mine sitting on a welded steel frame. When I set it on there I shimmed the base so tops of the 2 cabinets were parallel with each other. I had borrowed a 72 inch straight edge from a friend for that. With the steel frame under it I don't think it will ever get twisted but I had never checked it before. There are only 4 leveling adjusters, one at each corner on the frame. The adjusters are made from 3/4" threaded rod. The reason they are so long it so that I can get my engine crane legs under the base. There are casters attached to the frame in the picture but I cut those off before I put the lathe in it's final resting spot. The casters were not up to handling the weight of the machine. The frame is made from 2" X 2" .250" wall square tubing and it very stiff.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's more thoughtful engineering than my setup. I have similar frame (no cabinets) & bought these commercial screw jack feet. This shows tailstock end down as low as it can go. The headstock side is as high as they can go with top nut barely engaged. If the threaded posts were longer or my 'car washer' garage pad didn't have so much slope it would have worked out. I'll figure something out eventually. First things first... 're-assembly' :)

Attachments

• IMG_5659_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5659_edited-1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My manual says level in both orientations. That means your manual will say the same. My machinist buddy is FIRED! :)

Attachments

• SNAG-11-12-2017 0009.jpg
    SNAG-11-12-2017 0009.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 4

John Conroy

Premium Member
I've heard other people say it doesn't have to be level. An example would be lathes used on ships. I think as long as the bed is not twisted you can still get good results.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It seems to be a 'what is important to you' story. The very best is level in all directions with (ideally) the same force on each foot. My old tool and die maker buddy says that you have to recheck every 6 months for about 2 years, and then you can say it's level. He did that for his LeBlonde and it is rock-solid, and level to .002 per foot in both directions.

Deals are out there. I just picked up a 12" Moore and Wright Engineers level for 150.00

DSCN0693sm.jpg