• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

machinerys handbook online?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I wonder if that means it's available to read on-line for a year, but the downloaded never expires?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting, not a bad option as I actually don't like the format of the standard Machinery's Handbook.
I think the download never expires according to the site.
@Janger I think the "1 year of Bookshelf" means that with the purchase you also get one year of access to other bookshelf titles perhaps?
Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 11.29.07 AM.png

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
It says on there “ follow along while bookshelf reads to you “ so I’d say that for a year it is a audio book too.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Janger : I have the Machinist handbook in PDF but for general shop stuff I have a copy of this book: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Machinists-...635229&hash=item4d74873541:g:uaEAAOSwOyJX6VNP

I have an older edition I received when we started taking the shop classes for the Coast Guard Engineering. Great reference for "most" applications. The deeper knitty gritty I will go to the Hand Book. My PDF version is all book marked so you can click through it a bit easier to find information.

That Machinists' Ready Reference is stupid expensive on Amazon. seems a bit high priced everywhere these days

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm always shocked when I ask a question of a company and they actually answer. Here are the details on this question.
Greetings,​
Thank you for contacting VitalSource support. I apologize for any misunderstanding regarding your lifetime digital textbook purchase.​
Your purchase includes one-year online access and a perpetual download license. Due to bandwidth limitations, we cannot host all lifetime access eBooks perpetually online, but each lifetime purchase includes one year of online access. The perpetual download license enables you to continuously access the eBook offline through the free Bookshelf application even after the online license expires.​
Please click the link below and install a suitable application for the device you are using to download your digital material.​
You can have the Bookshelf application installed on up to 2 computers and up to 2 mobile devices at one time. Your notes and highlights will sync across all your devices, and you can deactivate a device at any time to activate it on a new computer or mobile device.​
Please see the following article for more information on downloading eBooks:​
If you need any further assistance, please let us know.​

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
So, what was the point of this thread? Lesson Learned?

I guess?

I find archive.org hard to understand. The way back time machine makes sense to me - just preserving already public web sites at a point in time. But books? Somebody created a book and spent time and money expecting a return on investment. Just photocopying a book instead of paying for it we all know is wrong. So how is this any different? Out of print books ok maybe. But machinerys handbook V29 for free?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've followed up with Industrial Press and got a few answers. They have an electronic version they will sell to individuals and if we had 5-15 members interested we could get the latest V31 book (4000+ pages!) online for $100USD. That's about $20 off. The print book in Canada is $160 at Amazon for the large print edition. The electronic version works on whatever device you have with a native app or with a web browser. You don't have to be connected online for it to work and you can install on multiple devices you personally own. It also has all the crosslinks working so you can click on a table of contents item and it hyperlinks you to the right page. You can search and print too. It includes some other material - the handbook guide - too. https://ebooks.industrialpress.com/product/machinerys-handbook-digital-edition-31st this is the full description. Would there be enough interest for people to want to get a group purchase going?

1617820885166.png

I'd almost want the electronic one so I can search and the paper one to use as a reference.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I bought my paper edition used, for around 60 bucks (it was part of a larger deal). I think the going price for a used paper copy was 80$ last time I checked - no need to worry about the edition number, unless you are into cutting edge CNC.

I don't own one but the Handbook guide is very helpful.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I have a very nice example of the 13th edition book published in 1946 as well as a PDF of the 29th edition. I use the PDF version more as I can do keyword searches on it but the book is nice to use. It just feels good in my hands for some reason.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Any idea how much memory that 4000 pages would eat up? I’d also be interested in the comparison of the machinist calculators out that could cover most of our needs.
could one be put in the paid member section? Just a thought.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
My hardcover is the 30 version, I bought it and the Machinist Calc Pro 2 as a combo from Amazon for $200 back in 2017. Just checked..... now 460?!

The calculator is pretty damn handy, speeds/feeds and threading info (major/minor diameter) built in. Saves me walking to get the Handbook. I have recently acquired a PDF of the same version of book I bought..... figured I paid for the paper one so my conscience is clean.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just as a comparison, my 30th edition hard cover I bought new in 2019 was $145. It seems to me I was watching the price back then and it jumped all over. I believe that was on Amazon.