• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Machine Shop Auction in LaCorey

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
An amazing collection too bad for the pictures it really hurts them cause the best pictures are the small items like drill bits anything of value is not expressed well in the pictures but I guess that is auction life. Must have been a pretty creative man rip.
Do you think things will go high or because its a bit far it might scare people off?
I never heard of La Corey its a bit north of the furthest north I have been in AB.
Bill

Hacker

Super User
There is some interesting items but the Auctioneer has really not done a very good job of presenting or grouping the items.
It is a three hour drive from Edmonton on good roads to have a look at what is there and I am not sure it is worth it unless you are after one of the larger items. The machines look like they are in decent shape but the photography does nothing to show if they have been abused let along anything in the description to provide some details.
It is a tough call whether to drive up there and have a look or pass on this.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Hmmm, there used to be a member on the CGNZ forum named Bartok but cant find any reference to him now...now I know the reason...

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks interesting for sure. I guess the auction house’s fees are high enough that they can make enough on each sale. So not too much effort is put into “selling each lot” with accurate descriptions and pictures - too bad.

Hacker

Super User
The whole thing is poorly done. Even the picture resolution is poor so you can't even get a good look at what is in the pictures.

John Conroy

Premium Member
It appears that the poor picture coverage is done on purpose so people will come to view the items in person.

I read this in the "Directions"

"This is a very basic breif listing This is to encourage you to come to the veiwing which is Sat April 10TH from 1 to 7 pm and friday April 16 th from 1 TO 7 PM"

I might take a drive up there to view the stuff.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you know how that works if the same item is listed on two different auction sites? You have to bid on both sites or are they somehow combined?

@John Conroy , I did see that comment as well. 12h round trip for me... so no too keen on that, but one never knows...

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It appears that the poor picture coverage is done on purpose so people will come to view the items in person.

I read this in the "Directions"

"This is a very basic breif listing This is to encourage you to come to the veiwing which is Sat April 10TH from 1 to 7 pm and friday April 16 th from 1 TO 7 PM"

I might take a drive up there to view the stuff.
If a picture is poor on purpose I feel it can be so only to disguise the items' real condition. If an item was in good shape there would be every reason to provide the best picture possible. IMO.

However it appears in this case there is a lot items that appear in good shape and so I think it is just lack of effort on the auctioneers' part

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yeah I think the auctioneer is trying to disguise his laziness as good strategy. It is about a 2.5 hr drive each way for me and if the weather is right I can take my motorcycle.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Lots of cool items - Edmonton people at least can try to take a look - 2.5h drive each way is still quite far.

I have almost identical K&T milling machine - cannot tell much b/c pictures are terrible.

Hacker

Super User
Do you know how that works if the same item is listed on two different auction sites? You have to bid on both sites or are they somehow combined?

@John Conroy , I did see that comment as well. 12h round trip for me... so no too keen on that, but one never knows...
One is the listing site, the other is used for bidding. You cannot bid on the listing site.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Well I'm not going to make it to either viewing day. Had to stick around on the 10th for a guy to come and see a motorcycle I'm selling, he is coming to pick it up on the 16th. Ok well at least some money is coming in instead of always going out.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Well I'm not going to make it to either viewing day. Had to stick around on the 10th for a guy to come and see a motorcycle I'm selling, he is coming to pick it up on the 16th. Ok well at least some money is coming in instead of always going out.

Always hurts when you sell a ride.