• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for Press advice

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Hey all!

I’m looking at getting a hydraulic press for my shop. I have been doing some browsing online and was wondering if anyone has a press they have that they really enjoy or alternatively think one should avoid. Open to any and all suggestions. Trying to keep it between 10-20tons, under $600.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have the 20 Ton Princess Auto special..... manual (not air-hydraulic). I've had it 15 years, not issues. Having never used a true hydraulic press, I don't know for sure the advantage. I tend to think the manual one is more my speed as presses scare the @#$@ out of me as I've been witness to many a press malfunction. I think the manual press puts the 'feel' of the press in my hand. Every now and then I wish I had a wider frame to handle motorcycle tires etc. so consider the width as much as the force.

My upgrade for this spring is to build a cage/guard to separate myself from the press. I have a bunch of mesh screen that will do nicely for that.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hey all!

I’m looking at getting a hydraulic press for my shop. I have been doing some browsing online and was wondering if anyone has a press they have that they really enjoy or alternatively think one should avoid. Open to any and all suggestions. Trying to keep it between 10-20tons, under $600.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Hi Alex. Another option is to build your own using a Swag Off Road KIt—if that appeals to you, and depending on your needs: https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Oh and one more thing...if you use an air over hydraulic setup, remove the latch that comes on many of the jack valves that allow you to fill the cylinder by locking the latch and not holding down the trigger. Those things are death traps on presses.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Hi Alex. Another option is to build your own using a Swag Off Road KIt—if that appeals to you, and depending on your needs: https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html

Yeah i looked at those and have considered building my own press but I’m just trying to figure out if it makes sense cost wise to build a press from scratch. I look at the princess auto and king Canada ones and they all look fairly similar and honestly don’t look the strongest structurally. I guess i could always buy one then modify the frame if I find it not rigid enough.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Do you need a large press - like 50t or tiny one? If *large* the used ones come regularly at auctions. I would avoid princess auto and KMS etc. These are *ultra light duty* i.e. if you actually use 50t from PA and put 50t on it the press will no longer be square. I build my own press and used oversized PA design - I made sure all elements are at least 50% thicker and it still flexes. When doing calculations you can see that standard A36 steel at thickness PA uses can withstand just little over 50t - given that your load will not be perfectly balanced you are guaranteed to stretch it out.

And hence why when you see on auctions for sale 50t presses they are at least 2x as big as PA.

I use my "50t" with a 12t air over hydraulic and I am happy. I have another 12t and can team them up if I need more power.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Do you need a large press - like 50t or tiny one? If *large* the used ones come regularly at auctions. I would avoid princess auto and KMS etc. These are *ultra light duty* i.e. if you actually use 50t from PA and put 50t on it the press will no longer be square. I build my own press and used oversized PA design - I made sure all elements are at least 50% thicker and it still flexes. When doing calculations you can see that standard A36 steel at thickness PA uses can withstand just little over 50t - given that your load will not be perfectly balanced you are guaranteed to stretch it out.

And hence why when you see on auctions for sale 50t presses they are at least 2x as big as PA.

I use my "50t" with a 12t air over hydraulic and I am happy. I have another 12t and can team them up if I need more power.
i cant see myself needing anything more than 20t - its just for press fits, nothing insane. got any photos of the one you built?

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I have a manual pump on a small 10 ton press and I find it clumsy to use.
My favourite hydraulic press was a shop built with 8 inch channel vertical members with the channel legs facing inward , 8 inch channel upper horizontal members facing out and 4 inch angle lower horizontal members. The table that is height adjustable was also 8 inch channel. The vertical channels had 1 inch pin holes drilled to support the table.
It was powered by a Williams submerged piston pump that sat inside the hydraulic fluid reservoir so the pump was very quiet. The Williams hydraulic fluid reservoir had a double acting valve on top to provide directional control. We used a 4 inch cylinder to provide the push.
When things got hairy, we'd wrap a chain or heavy rope onto the piece being worked (straightening a hydraulic piston rod for example) and stand at the side of the press while working the hydraulic valve to increase pressure. I was quite comfortable with this arrangement and was never impaled or smashed by flying pieces.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've had a 20t PA press/frame for 25 years. It is finally time to replace the bottle jack that came with it - it is used and stored outside.
I love to use it. Not the best, but a very workable and cheap hydraulic press.