• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking for a 7x12 Bandsaw

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi

I'm looking for a reliable 7x12 bandsaw in reasonably good condition. Coolant would be nice. Made in taiwan would be nice. PM me. or text 403 836 thirty one ninety too

John

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Be interested what you come up with. Looked online at KMS just for curiosity. They sell King & Magnum & General in that size. Never heard of Magnum before. Price range from 1259-1859. Buggers have gone up over the years. Not sure about China/Taiwan but 'd bet a coffee at least 2 of the 3 are China. May not be a bad thing. Just lop off your 4140 logs the first 6 months under warranty. If the motor survives & keeps the magic smoke in, you're golden :)

If you can get one that can do table-top style cutting (as opposed to just lop-off mode), that sure comes in handy for plate work & smaller finicky stuff. The way the table mounts is always mickey mouse rigidity & alignment wise regardless of brand, but better than nothing IMO. Somebody mentioned Jet's were Taiwan, but who knows these days. http://www.machinetoolonline.com/Jethorizbandsaws.html

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
My first manual lathe was a 1980's jet and quality was excellent. Probably the best i have ever seen in a hobby size machine. But not a fancy lathe. Even though it didn't have many featured the casting build quality was amazing.

John Conroy

Premium Member
There is a 7 X 12 for sale on Kijiji in Calgary, the guy is asking $500. It might be worth a look.

Busy Bee Tools has a 7X12 that is made in Taiwan. It's about the same price as the least expensive ones at KMS.

kylemp

If you manage to blow up the motor cutting that round I'd be pretty surprised. It really isn't a huge strain on the saw to cut anything it's more about pressures and supporting the work and not overloading it. The small 4 x 6 that I bought from CalgaryPT I used to cut 5x3 4140 bar stock.. it wasnot fast but it did do it with no issues.
As far as finding one.. just watch kijiji like a hawk and be ready to drive to edmonton if the deal pops up.. the pricing seems to be all over the map. I'm on the hunt for one around that size as well and have been for a while.. Haven't been successful yet. Too bad I just missed the 9 x 16 at the surplus place since I wasn't paying attention to when the auction ended. Went for like 300 bucks.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There is a 7 X 12 for sale on Kijiji in Calgary, the guy is asking $500. It might be worth a look.
Busy Bee Tools has a 7X12 that is made in Taiwan. It's about the same price as the least expensive ones at KMS.

The Kiji ad (assume its the same one?)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/c...aw/1249566343?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
..looks to be older but similar version of current BB offering
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-b-saw-7in-x12in-1hp-csa-craftex-cx103.html
So good price if its in decent shape. Those look to be belt move type speed change type. But I cant think of a downside to that off hand. Mine is similar size but has enclosed gear box in oil bath with speed selection levers. Convenient I suppose but mostly it stays on one speed.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And then there's Kaka via Amazon.ca for 1182$C. 2 year warranty & free shipping according to the ad, the weight of this item is 400 lbs, we will utilize truck freight shipping
https://www.amazon.ca/Industrial-Cu...qid=1490546126&sr=8-5&keywords=metal+band+saw

Aside from a strange name choice for N-Am market, they provide this link for more detail. It shows the table mount feature I was talking about. Its an even thinner piece of metal than mine but all part of the 'mods & upgrades' experience with machines from this part of the world.
http://www.kakaindustrial.com/metal-working/sawing/metal-cutting-band-saw-bs712n.html

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hey thanks for all the great suggestions! I ran up to Edmonton and bought a general tools 7x12 with gear drive. Coolant and the vertical table included. Made in taiwan. It's seen little use and is still on the original blade. It's 1900 at kms although I think that's way overpriced. Hopefully this will work for me on all that metal we bought.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
image.jpg I swear this is the most common bandsaw in the whole world, almost identical from every brand that ever stamped or sticker'd It. My old shop had one, I made a vertical cutting table for it and I may aquire it myself one day but for now it's machine shed not machine shop. I sure miss the adjustable drop speed and coolant tho.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have both of these the 7x12 I bought from busy bee for $800.00 something a few years ago the tabletop one was at the pawnshop superstore for $75.00 someone got rid of it for not cutting proper!! I turned the blade around.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm supposed to use water soluble coolant. Kms and busy bee have big 4l containers. Lenox and BB house brand. $40ish. Any other options?

kylemp

I'm supposed to use water soluble coolant. Kms and busy bee have big 4l containers. Lenox and BB house brand. $40ish. Any other options?
Just the typical water based coolant at busy bee, PA or kms should be fine. I have a 5 gal of that lennox stuff I haven't tried yet but for pretty much everything I use the white shit.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Mine has coolant, but I'm divided on the issue. I have a friend with a Chinese 6X12 he used in his tool and die shop for 40 years... without ever turning his coolant pump on. He had done nearly daily cutting on it, and seldom needed a blade replacement. He insisted on .035" blades at 14 pitch. (He never cut thin wall tubing)

So he never needed it, and never had to clean up a mess. I understand that you are supposed to get 3X more blade life using coolant... What a quandry! So far I have run it dry, until I do a complete rebuild.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That's interesting Dabbler. I'm thinking of course about cutting that 6.75" solid round we bought. Is coolant more useful or required on big cuts?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
You do not require coolant and we did not use coolant in our 7x12. I only changed 3 blade's in 18 months also almost daily cutting, some days it would cut all day, but the bigger/ tougher the material the more heat .. Friction -heat - expansion - fatigue. When cutting large stuff I would use a bit of rapid tap to aid, however when using coolant the cuts are cleaner,blades do last longer and noise is also sequestered slightly. I used white coolant back in high school and green in the shop both work and in theory you could use straight water the only draw back would be the rust.

Cutting a quick bit of mild steel? no need to lubricate/cool, cutting 4140 log? Coolant!

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
If you want to try cutting without coolant i will only suggest that you start out with the lowest speed possible and hope that the sfm is low enough. The small ammount of cutting oil will aid in heat transfer between. The blade and the workpiece