• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Little fella followed me home ...

DaveK

Cute as can be. Very well made, bearings are smooth and tight, as are all sliding fits. And bless the builder for using SAE threaded parts rather than BA as spec'd by the good Professor.

Now it needs a base, and some time learning to use it (and also a few more tool holders ... first up will be mod'ing an MT2 x 1" sleeve that I had left from building the Gingery, that along with my set of MT2 collets or ER chuck & collets will hold a lot of tooling).

Dave

Quorn pulley cover.jpg Quorn top.jpg

Quorn workhead.jpg

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh you are going to have some fun with that one. Congrats on it following you home.

gerritv

Gerrit
looks to be well made. Although it would benefit from handles instead of nuts. There are a lot of adjustments to make.

BTW BA Taps/dies are available on eBay, mostly from India. I recently bought a set, good quality.

Gerrit

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice score. The castings alone are worth a small fortune, never mind machining effort & accessories
If you Google 'Quorn pdf' you will find some downloadable 'resources' = book on construction & operating. There is also a user group on whatever Yahoo Groups has turned into these days.

DaveK

looks to be well made. Although it would benefit from handles instead of nuts. There are a lot of adjustments to make.

BTW BA Taps/dies are available on eBay, mostly from India. I recently bought a set, good quality.

Gerrit

Yes, no "shaking hands with an octopus" on this unit. I may make up the needed ball handles, but a handful of deep sockets will suffice for a while. And I have BA taps and dies ... just no desire to use them :).

Nice score. The castings alone are worth a small fortune, never mind machining effort & accessories
If you Google 'Quorn pdf' you will find some downloadable 'resources' = book on construction & operating. There is also a user group on whatever Yahoo Groups has turned into these days.

Martins Models is about to sell the castings, at a more attractive price (MK2 castings at Martins $565 CAD, MK3 castings at Hemingway $1095 CAD ... then there is shipping ....).

The book came with the quorn, so I have a start :) And ya, lots of info on the web.

Wow! Estate sale? who would give that up?

Yes, it came to Saskatchewan from an estate sale in BC. A fellow here bought out an entire model makers shop after the old fella (apparently a tool and die man) passed away.

Dave