• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Light lathe work in Windsor, Ontario.

Home Machinist

Brand New Member
Hi,
I'm new to machining and to the forum. I bought a bench top mill cx600 and converted to CNC which works ok on aluminum. When cutting stock on my metal bandsaw I found that it was not flat from top to bottom. The cut varied about 0.060 on 4" round, ick. It turns out that the shaft between the bandsaw and the table is bent. Can someone in the Windsor, Ontario area turn down 1" mild steel to 0.850 that is about 14" long? I can trade in kind services with cnc aluminum or 3D printing or you can just quote me. I have ABS, TPU, and PLA in stock for the 3D printer.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What is this 14" long, 0.0850" dia. shaft on your band saw for? I can't picture what's going on here.

Home Machinist

Brand New Member
What is this 14" long, 0.0850" dia. shaft on your band saw for? I can't picture what's going on here.
The shaft that holds the bandsaw to the table is 0.850" in diameter and around 12" long. The exact length will not be known until I take the shaft out of the machine. Because the shaft is bent the bandsaw is rotating way from the machine at a very slight angle when cutting stock. Currently, I do not own a lathe but looking into it. I have 1" round mild steel stock and just need the diameter turned down to 0.850". I can pay or offer a service in trade.

trlvn

Ultra Member
When cutting stock on my metal bandsaw I found that it was not flat from top to bottom. The cut varied about 0.060 on 4" round, ick. It turns out that the shaft between the bandsaw and the table is bent.
You are talking about a vertical metal-cutting bandsaw, right? I don't think you can expect much better accuracy when band-sawing metal. They are just not a precision cutoff tool.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem correctly.

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Home Machinist are you talking the pivot pin on a horizontal band saw?

PIVOTPIN.JPG

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I thought there was some sort of cam adjustment for that at least on some saws. Is it pretty clear it’s bent? But yah I agre with Craig it does not sound like it’s out more than tolerance. What kind and size of saw is it? If you post a couple more times then you can also upload pictures.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
On my saw some blades will cut very square but the next new one may cut at a very noticeable angle...they very some between every blade I buy so it might not be your saw framework at all "just one of those blades".

Home Machinist

Brand New Member
The bandsaw is a King Industrial KC-712BC and was dropped during delivery but I thought that it was ok. I am new to machining and thought that I was adjusting my mill incorrectly. Life happens so the mill and bandsaw sat for awhile. After starting up again, I adjusted the mill and the bandsaw and realized that it was coming off of the bandsaw with the error and not the mill but now the bandsaw is out of warranty :(. Inspecting the machine I discovered that the shaft (part number 18112-1 Support Rod) is not flush with the bandsaw in the front like it is in the rear. Next, I used trig and determine the angle (0.8593 degrees) that the shaft would have to be bent to yield the error. After that I used filler/gap gauges to lift the stock to see if it would eliminate the error and the result was off by less that 0.005" across 4" versus the 0.060" across the same distance. The problem with this method is I have to calculate the distance to lift the stock every cut which is not practical because I need a computer or a scientific calculator. If I can get a new shaft made I can verify that the existing shaft is the problem which I'm reasonably certain it is.

Thanks again for any assistance you can offer.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is the service manual for your band saw (Attached)

Are you talking about item 24 on the drawing? (Excerpts from the manual below)

FDF8E8DA-9C6E-4A9B-9D58-07B1CE6ADB31.jpeg

D42F8751-85B9-4185-81D7-1EAD6F1CAB18.jpeg

Attachments

• KC-712BC service manual.pdf
    346.2 KB · Views: 0

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
your shaft is not bent! it is deliberately set like that to adjust your vertical travel. Almost every horizontal bandsaw does this. By undoing the locking collar and rotating the axle, you can adjust your vertical angle.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
No mention of this in the users manual. I doubt my bandsaw is that sophisticated.

@Home Machinist post an image for us please.

Its a good thing we have those blue power hack saws that we paid too much for at auctions eh?

I just destroyed two blades (on my vertical and horizontal) saws to cut 1/8" of these Caroni finishing mower blades. Just murdered the blades. I don't know what kind of steel it was............. but it was infinitely harder than the chinesium that was on there before.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just destroyed two blades (on my vertical and horizontal) saws to cut 1/8" of these Caroni finishing mower blades. Just murdered the blades.

Ya, from what I can tell, even the high end bandsaw blades recommend materials less than 50 Rockwell C. Regular blades must be something lower.
https://www.simcut.com/index.php/bi-metal-m42
Heat treated tool steel is maybe 58-62 depending on the application (typical for a knife blade I think). So if you had something like that in your mower, it would have won over the bandsaw teeth.
I'm kind of cheap & hand saw annealed tool O1 steel rod stock just to preserve bandsaw blade life.