• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

LATHE / MILL COMBO, Sooke, BC, $6000

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
a8104e77-4649-41a3-8da7-29edc87c7b02

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@JustaDB - nope, I have my lathe and mill.:)

He's the owner of the local welding shop and the machines are kept under a tarp. I never had a good look at the machines but if anyone is interested I will go have a closer look.
Shawn restores old cars and equipment so I don't believe they would be abused. He's done some welding (aluminium) for me in the past and his work is very good.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
It's a nice bench but seems as a unit it's priced to high for the local market. The mill is on for $2K and I don't see $4K for the rest of it.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay and it doesn't look like anyone around here is willing to pay the asking price.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It's a nice bench but seems as a unit it's priced to high for the local market. The mill is on for $2K and I don't see $4K for the rest of it.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay and it doesn't look like anyone around here is willing to pay the asking price.
Agreed. There was a South Bend 9A that went for something less than $1200.
(I actually think it was a 10K based on the headstock)
Screenshot 2023-09-01 193522.png

jorogi

@JustaDB - nope, I have my lathe and mill.:)

He's the owner of the local welding shop and the machines are kept under a tarp. I never had a good look at the machines but if anyone is interested I will go have a closer look.
Shawn restores old cars and equipment so I don't believe they would be abused. He's done some welding (aluminium) for me in the past and his work is very good.
Seems an odd mill for Shawn but could be wheeling dealing. Last time I was there he tried selling me a 26 inch DoAll bandsaw, seems much more his style.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Don't know why he has them they've been on the market for a while now.

He wanted to sell me one of his radial drills but wouldn't sell me the Clausing 100 sitting outside (under a roof) on the porch.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Talked with Shawn today, he says he'd go to $5k but that's it. It seems he's just trying to get his money out of the deal, bought the lathe and milling machine at an estate auction (auction fever price) and has around $800 into the stand just in materials. He asked me what I thought and I said he was at least $1,500 to high for the market.
You price to sell or you price to wait for someone to come along and buy it, he's waiting for someone.

Jswain

Joe
When you figure the 2 steady rests, follow rest, and taper attachment would fetch ~$2500 alone on eBay the price isn't crazy.

Just is it a desirable enough combo for someone to drop 6k on, probably not unless you hit the perfect person, at the perfect time.

I think he could get 5k easy selling them seperate, and selling 1 steady rest separately.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The millennials aren't old enough yet to want to start to invest in this sort of thing. Gen-X is but are probably inheriting stuff.
One only has to look at what House of Tools, Busy Bee and some of the commercial places offered 20 years ago and now they are all gone. KMS seems to do best with power hand tools for the trades (and welding) with the occasional bigger machine. Even KBC doesn't have the same lineup of heavy machines that they used to.

Spent a little while this afternoon watching a HAAS make the bottom part of my heat sinks with lessons on how to ensure the part didn't move and registered properly for each machining operation. Learned a lot in such a short time.

Heatsink-TopMachined.jpg