• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Laser engravers

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I decided to replace the spindle on my homemade milling machine with a 7.5w laser module to create a laser engraver. the Laser isn't as powerful as I thought it would be, I expected it to able to engrave metal but the claim of it being a 30w laser pointed to the electrical power where the optical power is only 7.5w. It can still engrave wood, plastic, coated metals, etc; but it can only cut certain materials yp to 4mm thick.

Attachments

• 20210306_224938.jpg
    20210306_224938.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20210306-230334_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-230334_Video Player.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 30

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The diode power ratings are a real gong show. I have one that is rated 5.5W output, at least I hope it is.
Even a 40w CO2 laser won’t directly engrave metals. though. There are some chemical processes where the metal is coated with “Cermark” or dry moly lube prior to lazering. CO2 lasers were used but they seemed to work at low power levels. A diode laser might work.
It’s on my list of things to try, but I’m no longer allowed to use my laser in the house until I rig up a better ventilation system.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Was just watching a utube video of a guy called Eric Cortana with his new laser engraver doing metal. Looked impressive but i didn't check to see if he said what equipment he bought.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
There are some more high quality modules manufactured in America, like endurance lasers that are up to 8 - 10w; but they cost a great deal more. Diode lasers are better for engraving metals, because the wavelength also makes a big difference. CO2 lasers don't work well on metal because of the wavelength, thats why fiber lasers are used more often for cutting metal.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What happens if you just go really slow? Can you then mark metals? What happens if you use an acid etch pen and evenly cover the surface then laser it?

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Bare metal cant be engraved even if you go very slow. Unless it is treated or coated with engraving compound or paper, then a high percentage of the light is reflected of the surface of most metals before it delivers enough heat to engrave the metal. copper and aluminum are especially difficult to engrave, not just because of their high reflectivity, but also their high heat conductance. high powered fiber lasers work well for cutting and engraving metal, because they deliver enough heat upon contact. Other materials that aren't as reflective or conductive but are still hard, can be engraved by traveling slow, and running multiple passes. I might try engraving a tile, as that was on the list of things they claimed this module could engrave.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I dont know if there is any substance that would etch the surface as soon as the heat from the laser is delivered, but the laser can be used to cut the design out of some laser tape which protects the rest of the metal from the acid.