• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

KBC 4" Griplock Milling Vise for Sale

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just bought this vise from KMS. There are a couple of small flaws, so they ended up sending me a new one! It is made in Taiwan, and as far as I can tell (as a newbie) is seems to be a good vise.

The good news: I'm asking $250 INCLUDING shipping within Canada. (44 lbs and in the original box) New cost is $433 plus takes. I used it for a grand total of about 30 minutes as I played with my mill and waited for the new vise to arrive. Here is the link to the vise:

https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/8-251-004

The bad news: Below are the pictures of the flaws. None are significant in my expert opinion. ;o)

The first is what appears to be a small crack in the casting about 2-3" back from the stationary jaw.

The second is a small void that was not ground out of the casting. As you can see it is very close to the handle end of the vise.

IMG_3259.jpeg Vise.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You're mixing your KBCs with KMSs again:p If you upgrade to a premium membership you can correct all those oops yourself.

Last edited:

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
At least I have it right in the heading and link.

As Meatloaf used to say, "two out of three ain't bad". (and who names their kid "Meat", anyway?)

That premium membership is looking better all the time.

trlvn

Ultra Member
:D I knew a guy who's name was Cam Schaft:p Parents must have been real motor heads:rolleyes:
Did he have a brother John?

1RT.jpg

;)

Craig

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
SOLD.

Someone local. Not on the forum - but I invited him and sent him the address.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Tomc938 - how's the vise working for you? I'm looking for a new 4" and this one is on my hit list.
I'm really happy with it. Seems to hold solid with no "up-lift". Nice finish on the parts that really matter. Not so much on the ones that don't matter, but then, they don't matter. I would buy again.

Of course I don't actually know what I am talking about.....

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Of course I don't actually know what I am talking about.....
I know how you feel, lol. I've been looking at the Glacern 4" but shipping and brokerage can just about double the purchase price so I'm looking at the one you have.
Thanks for the info.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know how you feel, lol. I've been looking at the Glacern 4" but shipping and brokerage can just about double the purchase price so I'm looking at the one you have.
Thanks for the info.
That was the other one I was looking at also, but like you with all the added expenses I couldn't justify the purchase. The difference in accuracy between the two vises is nothing compared to my ineptitude. ;o)

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Thanks for the info.

Hey Tom, for what it's worth I have a Glacern 4 " as does @David_R8 for my money they are an excellent vise. Just sharing my thoughts here not to muddy the water splash, splash.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@David_R8 mentioned that Precision Matthews sells the 4" HOMGE vise (same as @Tomc938 has) for $349usd and the GLACERN sells they're 4" vise for $379, the point being that Matt doesn't normally sell junk. So to me they are close enough in cost that they should be close enough that I won't be able to tell the difference. The HOMGE does come with the swivel base and that is an extra cost on the GLACERN so side by side the GLACERN should have at least a better finish but tolerances could be the same(ish).
I'm still on the fence.......
@Dusty - did you say you wanted to sell yours,,,lol

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@David_R8 mentioned that Precision Matthews sells the 4" HOMGE vise (same as @Tomc938 has) for $349usd and the GLACERN sells they're 4" vise for $379, the point being that Matt doesn't normally sell junk. So to me they are close enough in cost that they should be close enough that I won't be able to tell the difference. The HOMGE does come with the swivel base and that is an extra cost on the GLACERN so side by side the GLACERN should have at least a better finish but tolerances could be the same(ish).
I'm still on the fence.......
@Dusty - did you say you wanted to sell yours,,,lol

Not really because I use it as a boat anchor come summer. LOL

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You need an anchor???? I'll trade ya. LOL It might take two of you to lift the one I have but I guarantee the boat will stay put. LOL