• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Jammed keyless chuck

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anyone know of any tricks to loosening off a keyless chuck. I was using a hole saw and it got it so damn tight I can't get it off. The chuck let go of the Jacob's taper and I've got it in the vice and I have a chuck wrench but no movement! I've had these dang whole saws do that before on me but never this tight. 20210416_150214.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I've got a 2ft snipe on the chuck wrench and things are just on the verge of snapping. A pipe wrench will Mar up the chuck badly but won't offer anything over what I've got now. Hmmnnnn.....

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@6.5 Fan beat me to the question.
I have a chuck like that. Wondering if it's possible to loosen the top ring.
Or conversely, can you clamp the holesaw in a vise and run the press/mill in reverse?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@6.5 Fan beat me to the question.
I have a chuck like that. Wondering if it's possible to loosen the top ring.
Or conversely, can you clamp the holesaw in a vise and run the press/mill in reverse?
Ha ha I just figured it out myself and came back to post the SECRET! Loosen the top ring!!! You are right DR8.
My drill does not have reverse....I'm working on the dang project now to get the option of reverse with the vfd. Ha ha. 20210416_153045.jpg

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
A Vise Grip Chain Wrench has saved me many times. Also, I use a Silver Sharpie to put directional arrows on everything these days. I find when I am frustrated my brain slows down, stops, and occasionally reverses. The arrows don't stop me from swearing, but do save my pride.

1618609765937.png

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good job getting it off.

Ha ha I just figured it out myself and came back to post the SECRET! Loosen the top ring!!!

Use two pin spanners, one in the top hole, one in the bottom. That’s what the holes in the chuck are for. Works every time.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good job getting it off.

Use two pin spanners, one in the top hole, one in the bottom. That’s what the holes in the chuck are for. Works every time.
The top hole in mine is not much of a hole as there is a set screw in it that holds the that collar on. I don't think it would hold a pin of a spanner

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Right, I have that wrong. The lower hole is the one I use a pin spanner in while the chuck is still in the lathe/mill. Sorry for the confusion.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Right, I have that wrong. The lower hole is the one I use a pin spanner in while the chuck is still in the lathe/mill. Sorry for the confusion.
Yes that's what I did with my pin spanner but then the chuck would not stay in the Jacob's taper so I held the hole saw in my vise and then reefed on the chuck with the pin spanner until it felt like something was going to bend or break and still no loosening up. I then took a rubber strap to that top collar as I didn't want to start with a pipe wrench yet. I was expecting to break the rubber strap but that is what broke the grip loose. And it only took a fraction of what I was using with the pin spanner on the main body. Now I know.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well it turns out my chuck is buggered afterall. I thought I had it but I went to tighten it up today and just get it nice and snug and then it slips. Something gave that should not have. Dang

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well that bites mightily! I'd pull it apart and see what's going on. They are simple devices.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well that bites mightily! I'd pull it apart and see what's going on. They are simple devices.
I'm working on it right now. And I'll be darned if I can figure out why it is pooched. I think it has to be the threads on the center shaft that moves the jaws up and down. It appears fine until the last bit of tightening and then it slips.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Shoot us some pics of the pieces. One of us may have experience with the guts of these things.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There apparently was some sort of rubber washer/spacer as I can see it is buggered and wrapped around the internal thread. 20210417_113013.jpg