• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

info on a King PDM-30 drill mill

Brian H

Super User
I'm looking at purchasing a used PDM-30 king mill drill. I'd like to upgrade from my PA mini mill and this is a pretty good price. Any one with one of these that can enlighten me on pros and cons would be appreciated. Opinions on this mill?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Brian, that looks to be your typical RF30 clone. It's a big step up from a mini-mill and what I stepped up to from my mini. If the price is right you won't have any regrets. Being a round column machine it has a quirk that many shy away from and that being you can't reposition the head without loosing your setup. @David_R8 made a guide for his RF30 that eliminates a lot of that issue.

What kind of money are you looking at if you don't mind sharing.

Craig

Brian H

Super User
Brian, that looks to be your typical RF30 clone. It's a big step up from a mini-mill and what I stepped up to from my mini. If the price is right you won't have any regrets. Being a round column machine it has a quirk that many shy away from and that being you can't reposition the head without loosing your setup. @David_R8 made a guide for his RF30 that eliminates a lot of that issue.

What kind of money are you looking at if you don't mind sharing.

Craig
He is asking $1200. I spoke with the guy selling it to arrange to go look at it. All he has ever used it for is a drill press so I feel its had a fairly gentle life so far.

Brian H

Super User
@Brian H, @YYCHM has the details correct. The PDM mills are pretty much the same any RF30 mill.

I’m happy to share details of what I built for my mill. It’s fantastically accurate, I can raise and lower the head and keep accuracy to .001”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks David. If/when I get the machine home and set up I will gladly accept your knowledge/expertise helping with that. I need to run a 220v feed to where I set the mill up and will need to reinforce the floor area of my shop where it's going to sit. (I have a wooden floor in my shop and I'm a bit apprehensive about the weight causing stability/vibration issues)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
He is asking $1200. I spoke with the guy selling it to arrange to go look at it. All he has ever used it for is a drill press so I feel its had a fairly gentle life so far.

That’s not an unreasonable price given your location.
I paid that for mine and it was likewise only used as a drill press.

Total weight is about 500 lbs for one of these units.

Brian H

Super User
That’s not an unreasonable price given your location.
I paid that for mine and it was likewise only used as a drill press.

Total weight is about 500 lbs for one of these units.

Could you tell me what taper the spindle is? I looked on the King website and it shows MT3/R8. Since the fellow that owns it has never taken the drill chuck out he couldn't tell me. Were they available with either taper?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Mine is from 1980 and has an MT3 taper.
If it’s a newer PDM-30 it will likely have an R8 taper.
Best to check by popping the chuck out.
Easy to do by loosening the drawbar slightly and giving it a sharp rap. An R8 will release easily, an MT3 will take a bit of a harder rap.

Brian H

Super User
https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produ...ling-machines/pdm-30-milling-drilling-machine

@Brian H This states R8. Does the machine your looking at have the base as well? Come with extras, vise, DRO, power feed etc etc?

Yes, it has a stand and a small drill press vise. He did say there were a few bits that came with the mill. He wasn't sure exactly what they were. I'll take a look at what he has when I go look at it. As for the taper it depends on what documentation you read. It seems that the age determines if it's MT3 or R8.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
From the last time I checked that is about half the price of a new one. If it is in good shape that is a good deal in my opinion.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
From the last time I checked that is about half the price of a new one. If it is in good shape that is a good deal in my opinion.

Currently listed in the KMS flyer as $2199 save $400. Stand available $279.95 Reg $299.99.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
April 1-30th. Just got it yesterday in the mail.

good deal, if you can get one, i ordered one from them on the 18th and have yet to hear of it coming in....on a side note i wonder if they will price match it to there current flyer, im defiantly going to try seeing as i paid 200$ more and probably wont even get it until april, lol

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
good deal, if you can get one, i ordered one from them on the 18th and have yet to hear of it coming in....on a side note i wonder if they will price match it to there current flyer, im defiantly going to try seeing as i paid 200$ more and probably wont even get it until april, lol
I would try.
I have struck up a good relationship with my local KMS store manager and definitely get service above and beyond.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I would try.
I have struck up a good relationship with my local KMS store manager and definitely get service above and beyond.

im thinking its possible, there price match policy is within 30 days of original purchase, and says nothing excluding there own flyer, crossing my fingers....thats 200 bucks for other stuffs