• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Improving Chinese tool holder

Just got my first haul off Ali Express, which included a bunch of Knockoff Korloy CCMT inserts, boring bar, and right and left turning tool holders. So far so good, the knockoff Korloy inserts work better than expected. The only piece that lacked quality is the boring bar. The insert does not seat flush in the tool holder (as pictured below). What is the best way to clean up these? Needle files, diamond stone?

I want to do this as “precisely” as possible without messing up the rake geometry.

Regardless for 50 dollars shipped I cannot complain.

Attachments

• 28CB961F-5C65-4716-BBA5-AEA1F636D9EC.jpeg
    28CB961F-5C65-4716-BBA5-AEA1F636D9EC.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 23
  • 7687C6C3-6F2D-401B-84E9-80CF8955B7F5.jpeg
    7687C6C3-6F2D-401B-84E9-80CF8955B7F5.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 24

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Angle grinder:p

Try it before messing with it, if it works it works.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Check for burrs. Remove them and it might seat properly. Folks report that some of the offshore tooling needs a bit of finishing.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you mean the corner of the milled pocket is radiused slightly & insert is bridging accross & therefore not fitting? If so, I recommend going in the corner with a Dremel & fine tip tool and relieve the corner out completely. The insert is supposed to be resting on its side flats in the pocket and the bottom surface which collectively give it support & proper angle. A radius / bridging is bad for multiple reasons. Incorrect tip geometry, clamping the screw risks stressing & cracking the insert, significantly less support because of edge contact vs surface contact.

ps - you may actually find out the pocket sides themselves are are not bevelled to match the insert, just straight milled. Some offshore toolholders do it right & some.... skip this step.

Attachments

• 6-18-2021 12-46-16 PM.jpg
    6-18-2021 12-46-16 PM.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 10