• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Identify this mill?

architect

Super User
Can anyone identify this mill? Appears to be a benchtop model, maybe from Taiwan.

How easy would it be for two average joe's to move this without a hoist or pallet jack?

PXL_20220226_221120728.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looks like a RF30 clone of some sort. Maybe 500lbs assembled. You would need at least 3 people to pick it up assembled. Can be broken down into manageable pieces. Table, cross slide, head, column, base.

Have more images?

architect

Super User
No more images. It's buried under 10 years of junk. I could barely climb over it to grab this image! Trying to figure out best way to move this thing without any hauling gear... maybe pieces is the way to go.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Probably similar to mine these are the 6 large pieces I broke mine down to and I carried alone all pieces only had to stop once with the head the rest were pretty easy down the stairs and I am a 142lb weakling. I did use a hoist to get the head on and off the column but I think 2 guys could do it or possibly take the column and the head together.

Attachments

• IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 19

Six O Two

(Marco)
I had one of those, I think, judging from the nameplate. Here's a picture of the one I had.

smart-mill-001.jpg

I'd not want to move it by hand without quite a bit of disassembly, even with two people.

architect

Super User
Yikes, I think this one doesn't have a base and sits on this low metal table. Maybe that'll cut ~100lbs off the total weight. I won't know until he cleans out the garage so I can actually see this machine which will be closer in May :p

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yikes, I think this one doesn't have a base and sits on this low metal table. Maybe that'll cut ~100lbs off the total weight. I won't know until he cleans out the garage so I can actually see this machine which will be closer in May :p

The total weight without the base/table is approx 500lbs.

trlvn

Ultra Member
@architect There is some variation in RF-30 style machines. The manual for mine says the net weight, excluding stand, is 595 pounds (270 kg).

I photographed and wrote up how my son and I moved my RF-30 from the garage to the basement:

Bottom line, an engine hoist takes away almost all the drama.

I'm on the east side of Oakville. If it is not too far away, I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Craig

deleted_user

Super User
garage... wheel it out on a dolly.

Do you need to borrow an engine hoist to get it in a trailer, or pick-up?

I have a smaller mill, and I dont even try to pick it up... too old and disabled.

architect

Super User
1647389092939.png
Think a 660lb convertible hand truck from Princess Auto can move this bad boy up a steep driveaway into the garage above? The photo doesn't do justice how steep that driveway is :S Thinking I can drag it up a motorcycle trailer or am I asking for trouble?

images
images

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Watch out with the weight distribution, these mills are TOP HEAVY and will surprise you.
Get as many helping hands as you can muster. They seem manageable with a trolley, but, the mass shifts unexpectedly when moving across uneven ground.
I talked to a couple people that have tipped over their mills when moving them.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What's the plan here? If you're planning to transport it on a motorcycle trailer, use an engine hoist to place it on the trailer, back the trailer into the garage and take the mill off with the engine hoist.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

architect

Super User
I have no good plan so looking for any suggestion! Worst case is I ask the all mighty @Brent H to help move as he was able to borrow an hoist to move my lathe and mill last time. But this isn't a full move into my space and it's just an available garage to store it until I make more space, which is also not anytime soon.

So the actually mill is just 42" high and attached to a 21" makeshift table. Maybe I can separate them so it's not TOO top heavy.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have no good plan so looking for any suggestion! Worst case is I ask the all mighty @Brent H to help move as he was able to borrow an hoist to move my lathe and mill last time. But this isn't a full move into my space and it's just an available garage to store it until I make more space, which is also not anytime soon.

So the actually mill is just 42" high and attached to a 21" makeshift table. Maybe I can separate them so it's not TOO top heavy.

What mill do you have now?

Engine hoists can be rented and that's the easiest/safest means of loading/offloading it from a trailer. Disassembly is always an option.