• Look in the CNC Machining area for the new 3D Printer forum.
  • Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

Hydraulic Lathe Tracer

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
More for visual FYI purposes (spendy) but these have always fascinated me. Basically you make a 2D pattern which is temporarily mounted relative to the metal blank. Then then the tracer mechanism basically copies it as you traverse the work. It a bit more complicated then that because you are making successive feed passes just like regular machining & that's where the hydraulic following comes in. I guess you could say 'analog CNC' :) Good for complicated or ornate work or even multiple copies of the same thing. Keith Fenner has some vids of his in action.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/...h9WuvU-B0LTqSFvJj-Pj-jT61D-OsKhFR2wtNLLCHGeD4

Tom O

Premium Member
At one time I had a Harrison lathe bought from Modern Tool with a tracer we used it for the radius on english wheels.

Janger

(John)
Premium Member
Keith does have some interesting vids on those pattern followers. A Cnc refit to a standard lathe would cost about the same as these followers. Steppers, controllers, computer....

Alexander

Premium Member
Sait threw there tracer lathe out 5 years ago but until then machinist apprentices used it to make bt40 tool holders. I rember thinking it was pretty cool but not in any way relivant anymore

Colten Edwards

Premium Member
pretty sure that was a McDougallbay auction item recently. Sask power sold off a couple of 13x40 lathes and that was one of the items up for auction.