• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

How to machine these slots?

I'm wondering how the slots in the inner bore of this gear could be machined. The slots are 0.28 inches wide, 0.15 inches deep, 60 degrees apart, and the bottom of the slots is radiused not flat. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to make a similar gear for my lathe with a different number of teeth.

zEWgear2.jpg

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey @Canadium - it could be your lucky time of the year! Just before going back to work I received the vertical Shaper attachment for my mill :D.

I have to build or find the adaptor for attaching it to the back of the Bridgeport, but after that, splining small gears and such should be not very difficult. I am, of course, off to the great waters...what is the width, Outer diameter, tooth count, pitch and pressure angle of said -required gear? and does a tooth need to be aligned with the spline as your picture shows or was that just to count teeth?

trlvn

Ultra Member
Is it possible to buy a spine coupling and press it into your gear blank? I had a quick look on McMaster.com but didn't see exactly the right part.

Craig

Hey @Canadium - it could be your lucky time of the year! Just before going back to work I received the vertical Shaper attachment for my mill :D.

I have to build or find the adaptor for attaching it to the back of the Bridgeport, but after that, splining small gears and such should be not very difficult. I am, of course, off to the great waters...what is the width, Outer diameter, tooth count, pitch and pressure angle of said -required gear? and does a tooth need to be aligned with the spline as your picture shows or was that just to count teeth?

These gears are 16DP 20PA one would be 42T and 2.75 outer diameter the other 40T and 2.625 outer diameter. The comaparable 50T gear I have is 0.62 wide with an additional 1 inch long 1.75 inch diameter extension on one side. I'm not sure if a tooth would have to be aligned with the spline but I wouldn't think so. It's part of the gear train at the back of the lathe. I would need them on my lathe to extend the metric thread cutting capability.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mr. Pete had a viewer send him gears that were 3D printed for one of his lathes.

You can view here:

Cost would be a couple bucks if you know someone with a 3D printer.

If you don't I could design and print for material costs and shipping. I'm on Vancouver Island.

Are you sure the gears aren't metric? Your machine is British is it not?

The teeth do not fit a metric profile. The MOD works out to something like 1.6. It has imperial dimensions and the DP works out to an exact 16. The lathe overall seems to have an unholy mix of metric, BSW, and American standard parts. As far as I can tell it was made about the time the UK was converting to metric.

Mr. Pete had a viewer send him gears that were 3D printed for one of his lathes.

Cost would be a couple bucks if you know someone with a 3D printer.

If you don't I could design and print for material costs and shipping. I'm on Vancouver Island.

I find this a very intriguing idea. Assuming I would have to custom design a print file for these gears on 123D how do you get the correct tooth profile into the design?

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I find this a very intriguing idea. Assuming I would have to custom design a print file for these gears on 123D how do you get the correct tooth profile into the design?
I work in Fusion 360, so I would watch either this video, or another one like it, in one window as I follow along in Fusion 360:

I would assume 123D would have similar videos on Youtube.

I've done some pretty complex designs in Fusion, and enjoy expanding my skills with projects like this. thus the offer. But you can do it yourself, then YOU get to expand your knowledge.

I'm thinking it might be useful to design a gear with parameters that could easily be edited and changed for people who want to print gears for themselves. Easier than machining, and you can print another one anytime, so probably make financial sense even if they only last a year each.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member

The thought of turning a milling machine into a shaper is very interesting! Would you be able to post a few photos of what you are talking about?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Canadium : yes a regular shaper can do this work no problem.

@Tomc938 you can check out the unit at the link supplied by @YYCHM (Thank you Craig :) ) I departed for the ship to fast to really get anything done other than a look and carry to the work bench. It is an older Chinese model by very well built. The aluminum to cover is cast and very heavy.

I need to make a bracket to connect it to the mill and fix the motor switch. The motor is 240 single phase 60 hz and it has a stroke range of zero to 4". It takes (I believe) 16 mm shank cutters - but a 5/8" cutter did not seem too loose. I should be able to grind cutters as required.

@Canadium :

@Canadium : yes a regular shaper can do this work no problem.

I need to make a bracket to connect it to the mill and fix the motor switch. The motor is 240 single phase 60 hz and it has a stroke range of zero to 4". It takes (I believe) 16 mm shank cutters - but a 5/8" cutter did not seem too loose. I should be able to grind cutters as required.

@Canadium :

Now I know why I need a shaper too! LOL :)

I'm curious now what that bracket will look like?

I work in Fusion 360, so I would watch either this video, or another one like it, in one window as I follow along in Fusion 360: would assume 123D would have similar videos on Youtube.

I've done some pretty complex designs in Fusion, and enjoy expanding my skills with projects like this. thus the offer. But you can do it yourself, then YOU get to expand your knowledge.

I'm thinking it might be useful to design a gear with parameters that could easily be edited and changed for people who want to print gears for themselves. Easier than machining, and you can print another one anytime, so probably make financial sense even if they only last a year each.

I really like your idea of a master file where you can just change a few parameters and produce a custom design. A few years ago I did some intensive work on 123D. Learned how to use it really well but haven't done much with it since. So now I imagine I've forgotten most of it. Looks like its been discontinued since and replaced with Fusion 360. Probably should learn to use Fusion 360 myself. I need to get my own 3D printer! sigh ... just too many projects and things to try ...

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I recently wanted to 3d print some bevel gears that were metric (module) pitch.
Ended up paying 20USD for a fusion plugin that takes parameters and then creates a model of the gear. So handy. But it only does bevel

There are other plugins to do other gears. I like this pay-per-feature commerce . Someone put time into this

dd3398f0efe702d58032aa2a43bda9f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
McMaster-Carr offers 3D models of their gears.

1620934852791.png

Is that something that can be imported into your CAD package?