• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

How much would you pay for a Myford?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I have no idea why Myford is so expensive. I would not consider it, even in good condition, a big step over mini lathe. In average condition I would pick mini.

I would understand high price if Myford was a luxury lathe in its day - but it was not - it was maybe a step up from a cheap 1960s Atlas.

Thats a really strong opinion, how do you know this? have you had one?

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The one BELL has looks like the same one that was advertised before, might be there on consignment.

Edit - I just found a picture of the original ad and I'm 99.99% sure it's the same machine.

Last edited:
The one BELL has looks like the same one that was advertised before, might be there on consignment.

Edit - I just found a picture of the original ad and I'm 99.99% sure it's the same machine.

Seriously for the money they are asking I'd look into a new/refurb'd one from Myford *IF* a just had to have a Myford.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Thats a really strong opinion, how do you know this? have you had one?

Since they are popular many previous owners voiced their opinion about them & they all seem to say about the same thing. Namely SB 9 is few steps over ML7 & how limited ML7 is in doing anything... compare it to mini lathe.

First google hit https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum/general/1834727-how-good-is-myford-ml7

or https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/curious-about-myford-lathes-181777/

Basically it has cult following & it has a lot of accessories, so in the old days, if you had small shop, you could have MF7 plus some accessories and literally do anything - even cut gears. That was nice back then but we are not long "then" we are now - there are plenty of choices and usually pp have a bit more space then 1 single work bench. So they can have multiple dedicated machines - even if small.

Opinion is that SB 9 is going to make circles around MF7 - it is significant upgrade - huge.

Heck, there are even *new* Chinese made attachments made for MF7 today - https://www.amazon.ca/Factory-Vertical-Milling-Attachment-Suitable/dp/B07LGWYTTW

Note that my pick of mini over ML7 is based on $ for what you get - note that you can get a 7 x 14 brand new for under 1000 while average auction MF7 is hard to find for under 3000 - so its 3:1 or even 4:1 price difference. For less then MF7 you can get a bigger lathe like 10x22 or something. Not to mention used market. Not to mention excellent MF7... for 15k (!). Of course if ML7 was same as mini I would go for old iron (condition dep) but its not even close.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
thats kind of reporting some else's opinion as decided fact. There are people on forums who know what they are talking about, and many more who don't. It takes soak time to be able get a sense of who's who. Better to own and use one before making strong judgements how good or bad the quality is.

There are certainly ample opposing views, perhaps they are not bothering to fill forums with arguments. I would counter your claim that its a cult following by suggesting its every bit as much counter cultural group trashing them (lol). I'd speculate a good portion of those with a hate on for them haven't any idea or have ever never used one.

The ML7 was for sure more a budget model, however its the Super 7 that commands the high dollars, and imo rightfully so. Up to a point I guess....agreed, at 15000 I think one should looking for a lightly used 10ee or HLV....but then again, they dont go down the basements stairs. While the OP was about an ML7, and I agree that price was too high for my tastes, your remarks in your first post seemed more about Myford general. Its not accurate to judge say all GM cars by one model, a Cadillac isn't a Chevette.

In the link someone says they wouldn't want an ML7 because of the plane bearings. Thats about the model, not Myford's (of old) quality. btw, thats also not neccessary a position that makes a lot of sense either - there are some exceptionally well done plane bearing lathes (Rivett, Holbrook, Pultra, Schaublin, Boley etc) that nothing coming out China could hold a candle to. In many cases you can expect a plane bearing lathe to take great loads with suffereing damage and have less run out than many rolling element bearing lathes. If someone's opinion has left the impression that plane bearing = low quality, they've not done their readers any favours

I've had a super 7 apart and surveyed and they are very well made. High quality fit and finish. I know how to measure and create accuracy to the highest standards. e.g. when I refer to surveying I'm talking about blueing and indicating to assess the fit and accuracy of the bearing surfaces; a key component, if not the most important (and also one of the most expensive) aspects in determining what might be called quality. I have had inexpensive Chinese machines apart and surveyed them and they are atrocious. The two (not including the "new" myfords, no idea their quality) are not remotely in the same league.

I have no dog in the fight, I don't own one anymore, and am not part of any fan club. Your statement wasn't one that jived with my experience so I was interested to hear why.

Why did I sell mine? If you needed one lathe, and it had to go down the basements stairs, a Super 7 would be a hard one to beat. A Maximat would be close to it, or maybe neck and neck (I've reconditioned them as well). I sold it because I had some large lathes in the garage, and small instrument lathes in the basement and it was kind of the hole in the donut. Perfect if you had one lathe, but it just was too much duplication with what else I have.

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
Back in 2018, when I first started to get the metal bug, I attended an auction offering this Myford Super7:

Myford Super7.jpg

The machine was clean, well-lubricated and appeared to have never been abused or crashed.

I believe the selling price was around $2,500 + HST. I talked to the buyer a little afterwards and he was quite happy with the price. It was after that that I did some research and learned the the Super 7 models were more desirable.

Note that this lot also included these accessories (and more, not pictured):

Myford Super7 accessories.jpg

The fixed and travelling steady rests are in the shadows to the left. I think those may be the metric transposing gears to the right.

As @Mcgyver says, the fact that it is compact and 'stairable', is a big plus.

Compared to a new Asian import, there are pluses and minuses. Lots of import buyers talk about having to clean out casting sand, deburr rough edges, etc. (I think of them as a kit where the buyer does the final finishing.) The variable speed controls are notorious for burning out.

Myford's designs have stood the test of time. But a 50, 60 or 70 year old machine may have a lot of wear. Or not--some machines only got used a few hours per year.

Maybe the guys that bid up the ML7 in this thread had gone to an auction preview and decided the machine was in outstanding condition and the cabinet was chock full of valuable accessories. Maybe they'll sell off a bunch of duplicate accessories and have the machine for free!! In that case, the auctioneer screwed up by not including enough photos. But I doubt it.

I think the two guys bidding got in a d*ck-swinging contest. I'm guessing the "winner" may be trying to convince himself that he didn't overpay "that much". And failing.

Craig
(So if an ML7 now goes for $4k out the door, how much would someone pay for the Super7 above? Maybe I should yank my money out of the stock market and speculate on soaring machine tool prices!)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Look what followed me home yesterday. I test this little sucker out and do some fixing. Then either give it to my dad or sell it for lots of $$$ as clearly some pp think they are worth a lot.
Comes with clutch option, 1/2hp motor, tapering attachment, parts of milling attachment, gear box and little bit of tooling.
So far work is needed with electrical, with oiler, with tailstock. Gears that i can see are OK. Bed looks OK. Cannot find serial.
963a89c0cf76d5b087883806e00ee3c0.jpg

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk