• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

How Kodak film is made.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Stumbled on this Youtube series. Each part is 1 hour and I'll admit I only just watched a bit here and there. Later when I have some evening down time I think I'll watch the whole thing. Really amazing stuff.

I've been in both Kodak plant (Toronto and Brampton) while they where operation in the mid 90's the operation in Toronto where amazing to see.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The whole stretching of the PET was kind of mind blowing.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Destin is one of my fave YouTubers to watch.

Agreed, he's got some great content. He gets too goofy for me a lot of the time, firing stuff out of air cannons and lots of giggling, but love this content.

Interesting the resurgence in analogue cameras. Unless you are using large format view cameras or such, I have to wonder why. The low cost of digital photography is imo one of the great advantages of being alive in this era.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Interesting the resurgence in analogue cameras. Unless you are using large format view cameras or such, I have to wonder why. The low cost of digital photography is imo one of the great advantages of being alive in this era.
Yes I wonder too if it is not just a fad, although I have not yet watched the entire video. I remember when digital quality couldn't even touch 35mm film but now since that has really isn't an issue digital still winds hands down for cost of image and the instant result.
Maybe it's a good thing I kept my old 35mm equipment this long....it might be worth something again finally.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Yes I wonder too if it is not just a fad,

Might be like analogue sound, hearing/seeing something that isn't really there but gives one a sense of exclusivity or uniqueness, rising above the crowd. Thats my Sunday morning amateur psychoanalysis :D - probably worth what you paid for it.

I remember reading once something like the difference between a professional photographer and an amateur is a 1,000 rolls of film. Practice and experience; digital gives us amateurs a chance to catch up.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Maybe it's a good thing I kept my old 35mm equipment this long....it might be worth something again finally.
Dont know if it is still a "thing of importance" but the BIL owned the last camera shop in Calgary that had a developing machine for film photo's. He made an excellent living with just that one machine, he claimed that digital photography had no standing in any legal usage at all as it was so easy to photo shop the images to make them look like what was wanted. He had some very good accounts with law firms, insurance companies and every municipal & law agency in the area.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have to wonder sometimes about digital I can see the historians looking back at documented pics only to find they just stop and disappear

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dont know if it is still a "thing of importance" but the BIL owned the last camera shop in Calgary that had a developing machine for film photo's. He made an excellent living with just that one machine, he claimed that digital photography had no standing in any legal usage at all as it was so easy to photo shop the images to make them look like what was wanted. He had some very good accounts with law firms, insurance companies and every municipal & law agency in the area.
Interesting, I would think you could also take the digital image and alter how you wish and then take a picture of that with a film camera.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I new a guy back in the mid 80s the Calgary Herald ran a full page on him Police said he was Canadas #1 safe cracker. Ron Prune told them he could design better safes but until he was caught who would believe him! Apparently turned in by his cohort that was fooling around with his wife so after jail he was deported back to the Netherlands.