• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hi From Winnipeg Area.. actually 30 mins East of there. RM of Ste Anne.

George

George here, New to Hobby Machining, had to retire from Long Haul Trucking a few years back through an illness. After countless hours of youtubing i have plunged in and ordered a new mini mill and a Lathe. I am a British Ex-pat and have live here for 15 years now. I am 58 so i am an old dog going to learn new tricks, My Machines are coming from "China of Course," but wont be here till March or there about's Chinese Spring Celebrations and all that are the delay, and the Lathe i ordered is being Custom Built kinda, its just a 10 x 20 being altered to be 10 x 30. Any way its way too cold to work in my Garage so i am converting a corner of my Basement to be a shop in anticipation of my new toys arriving. I was told about this site by Everett i think you all know him LoL, i follow him of the Utube and Watching many others learning different things about the Machining World, My Life in England was the British Army as a Recovery Mechanic, Mainly Serving overseas in Germany as well as other places, so i have no Experience of Machining at all and am very much looking forward to it. My interest at the moment is in the miniature Machine Models, Lathes Mills the 1/12 scale kinda got me very wanting, those sold by PM Research. but i think i best learn how to face off something 1st :)
Anyway thats me for now, hope to make some Friends and who knows local contacts.
All the Best
George.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome to the forum George, you'll find we're a pretty friendly bunch and always willing to help.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Good to have you George! Lotta folks here working similar “bro” -Jecks and lots of experience. Hope the “illness” is all good and you can have some fun!!

Everett

Super User
Hey George! Glad you finally got connected here. I've learned a lot from listening in to what others have said here, and am very thankful to the originals who got this system going.

Howder1951

George here, New to Hobby Machining, had to retire from Long Haul Trucking a few years back through an illness. After countless hours of youtubing i have plunged in and ordered a new mini mill and a Lathe. I am a British Ex-pat and have live here for 15 years now. I am 58 so i am an old dog going to learn new tricks, My Machines are coming from "China of Course," but wont be here till March or there about's Chinese Spring Celebrations and all that are the delay, and the Lathe i ordered is being Custom Built kinda, its just a 10 x 20 being altered to be 10 x 30. Any way its way too cold to work in my Garage so i am converting a corner of my Basement to be a shop in anticipation of my new toys arriving. I was told about this site by Everett i think you all know him LoL, i follow him of the Utube and Watching many others learning different things about the Machining World, My Life in England was the British Army as a Recovery Mechanic, Mainly Serving overseas in Germany as well as other places, so i have no Experience of Machining at all and am very much looking forward to it. My interest at the moment is in the miniature Machine Models, Lathes Mills the 1/12 scale kinda got me very wanting, those sold by PM Research. but i think i best learn how to face off something 1st :)
Anyway thats me for now, hope to make some Friends and who knows local contacts.
All the Best
George.
Hi George, welcome to the group, I am Howie and I live in Selkirk,MB . I am retired millwright and have been a hobby machinist for some 30 years or so. I am just reaching out to anyone near me geographically. Looking forward to interacting with forum a bit more, cheers!

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island! (But I'm in Winnipeg right now visiting my Dad)

Prairie born and raised. I know where St. Anne is!

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Hi George,

Hello from Winnipeg!

I’ve also been looking at the 1:12 scale model tools that Joe Piecznkski is building via YouTube. They sure look intriguing. Unlikely I’ll do anything with them though, I have more than enough hobbies for while I’m working. I’ve yet to start my lathe up, so I’m more (less?) than a beginner, but I’ve sure been having fun in the last couple of years learning about machining.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi George. Welcome from farm country south of Chatham Ontario.

You are in good company here. Lots of new members from Winnipeg.