• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hi from Kelowna

KeeponDragon

Super User
Hello there,
Sometimes slow on the draw, would be accurate to describe me. I realized I've made a few posts without being polite first and saying hi. Most of my life has been focused on mechanical contrivances in one form or another. Machinery, vehicles, what ever. I struggled everywhere in school except shop class. Books don't have enough moving parts lol. But shop class had my attention.
Life happened in various forms. I migrated from one job to another by virtue of my ADHD. Started off in an actual machine shop. I was a grunt labourer during a large project build they were awarded. I didn't make the 3 months, so I was one of the first let go. On my breaks I'd watch the machinists building driveshafts, repairing hydraulics and so on. But being very young when I was handed my pink slip, I got discouraged with the industry. I do regret not trying other places after. But young, dumb and so on.
I spent a fair amount of time in the automotive industry, sliding from wrecker yards, private and chain repair shops, and then into the supply chain end of things.
Eventually I got to where I am now, a few bumps n bruises, some dislocations and scars, but intact with all fingers n toes attached...
I do have an amazing and supportive wife partner. So supportive she's helped with a couple of my hobby business things doing my paperwork to watching my mind grow calmer every time I step into my workshop.
Patience and a lot of perseverance has allowed me to collect and or make my tool collection.
I really like metal work. In several forms. I'm drawn to the mechanical, both electric and manual. Machine work. Forge work. Welding by oxy-fuel torch, MIG, TIG, and SMAW. I'm not a ticketed anything. I've learned by doing, asking, watching, making a lot of mistakes, and then trying not to make the same mistakes again.
I'm really glad I found this place. The range of folks here is pretty vast. And I have to say really supportive.
When I was asked about in one of the milling machine threads, that was kinda cool. I don't consider myself remarkable or even markable really lol.
But I'll be reading lots and hoping to retain some of it.
My basic high school shop memories are slowly returning the longer I spend time in the workshop.
I will try to not post too much stupid stuff. But I'd be glad to share the adventure of my builds, if anyone wants to know what I went through.
The powerhammer, Crankenstein, is definitely the king of my R n D ups n downs. I tried a lot of ideas, it took a while to get to the final machine, but it does well for what it is.
Any who...it's snowing again, which means I get to test the latest quick fix on the chute of the snow blower...
cheers all
-Dragon

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
We've already said hi of sorts, but it's always good to do it properly. So a big hello from a big fella growing rocks on a farm south of Chatham Ontario.

I recognize that wonderful comfy feeling you mention. I feel it the minute I walk through the doorway into my awesome messy shop. My piece of heaven on earth.

So glad you enjoy the forum!

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Welcome from Winnipeg!!

I have very fond memories of metalworking in high school and am having wonderful fun getting back into it!!!!

I too have appreciated the assistance which has been given to my questions!