• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hi from Airdrie, AB

Madpiper

I’m a musician and amateur instrument builder, and my interest in pipemaking has me on the hunt for a small metal lathe. I’m also looking to expand my limited knowledge in machining, the Forum looks to be a great resource.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Welcome Madpiper you found the right spot with loads of insight and much knowledge.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Woo Hoo! I take it you play the pipes - other instruments? I was a drummer in the pipe band when I was a young lad - still play the drum kit, bass, Uke, harmonica - etc great fun!!

Madpiper

Brent,

Thats cool! I play a couple different types of pipes, as well as guitar & mandolin. Jack of all trades, master of none!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Craig,

Piper or drummer? Pretty competent band!

Snare drummer. Cadet not Militia, mind you the cadet band was stronger than the militia band back then. We are talking battle dress, ankle boots, trouser weights and putties here.

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The 9 and 10 inch Southbends are not the best if you’re planning on turning wood. The spindle oiling system is capillary driven and the oil return holes are pretty small. They are prone to getting clogged with wood dust.