• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello, new member from Toronto

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Hi Everyone,

Happy to have just found this forum. I'm in Toronto and have been an avid home shop machinist for 30 years. Lots of tool making, machine tool recondition, model engines as well as clock and watch work keep the todo lists in the hundreds of items.

Mcgyver is a bit of cheesy handle I know, but its nickname applied years ago from a certain group of friends (civilians, not machinists) and it stuck

Thanks for having me

Mike

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome, the forum was good when it started and had a just a small number of members but lots of people/experience has greatly added to it. Thanks for joining and making the forum even better!

gerritv

Gerrit
Welcome from St Catharines. Your cut knurler is nearing the top of my 'tools to make' list.

Gerrit

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Welcome from Ancaster!! Watch out for that guy from St. Catherines..... Gerrit. He’s all trouble, lol.... I hung out with him for merely 3 hours and next thing I knew I had an Optical Comparator on a truck coming to me from Regina!

This bunch is a pretty great group!

Cheers.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Hi Mike, trying to finish up a Stuart triple expansion engine. I've built a Ryder Ericson engine, Perkins hit miss, Stuart 7a and few barstock engines. On deck are a few traction engines, a couple of locomotives, Stuart Major Beam and Domestic vertical hit and miss. The majority of my shop life has been building tooling, reconditioning machines etc to make model engineering easy/faster/better. Easy to lose one's way, i.e. I confess the hobby the last decade has been building the shop far more than building engines.

Example. Getting the tight pipe bends for the triple's steam pipes (1/4" bend in 1/4 tubing). After trying everything else, I concluded a mandrel bender was required (these pipes are prominent so have to look great). 4 months of work. Somewhere along the way I busted a 10 24 tap (10 24 has since been fired from my shop) making the bender. months to build a tap burner. Most of year later, a part or two more is competed for the engine :)

Proxule

Ultra Member
Hi Mike, trying to finish up a Stuart triple expansion engine. I've built a Ryder Ericson engine, Perkins hit miss, Stuart 7a and few barstock engines. On deck are a few traction engines, a couple of locomotives, Stuart Major Beam and Domestic vertical hit and miss. The majority of my shop life has been building tooling, reconditioning machines etc to make model engineering easy/faster/better. Easy to lose one's way, i.e. I confess the hobby the last decade has been building the shop far more than building engines.

Example. Getting the tight pipe bends for the triple's steam pipes (1/4" bend in 1/4 tubing). After trying everything else, I concluded a mandrel bender was required (these pipes are prominent so have to look great). 4 months of work. Somewhere along the way I busted a 10 24 tap (10 24 has since been fired from my shop) making the bender. months to build a tap burner. Most of year later, a part or two more is competed for the engine :)

Any thing from the jan ridders collection?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Example. Getting the tight pipe bends for the triple's steam pipes (1/4" bend in 1/4 tubing). After trying everything else, I concluded a mandrel bender was required (these pipes are prominent so have to look great). 4 months of work. Somewhere along the way I busted a 10 24 tap (10 24 has since been fired from my shop) making the bender.

You mean 1/4" radius in 1/4" OD tube? If so, Wow. I was dreading the 15/16" radius bends bends on my radial engine (5/16" OD) pipes, but managed to dodge the bullet....for now. I bought a Ridgid hand bender which works pretty good. Well, I also cheated a bit. The exhaust tubes are simple ~90-deg bends made from brake line. The induction tubes were more involved shape but I ended up using aluminum Versatube from AS&S. That may not be the look or material you are after but it saved me from the usual complexities of filling tubes with Cerrobend. Because the Ridgid tool is a fixed radius I had to use that radius as the starting point & therefore redesign the entire intake manifold to suite because the plans called for a different (metric based) radius.

So through this process, I was on a quest to gather ideas of model engineering bending tools that would allow me to make a mandrel to any radius my application required & ideally everything else in the bender mechanism stayed the same. The designs I saw vary quite a bit. Some are on a rolling wheel principle. Some a sliding block kind of similar to the Ridgid. Some showed their actual bend results on tough materials like stainless (also involving annealing). Others just showed the tool so I wasn't able to see how the story ended if it actually worked. Some tools could make bends but the mechanism didn't allow for (in my case) making the trumpet flare on the end without the mechanism conflicting. The CAD drawing is one of my latest ideas. The challenge is to make the slider block to corresponding radius of die & fix it in that position. The Ridgid is kind of a cam like swing arm that self compensates. Anyways, we should compare notes one day. Or maybe you already figured it out & I'll just copy yours haha. I'll be posting my radial update soon, that what the last weeks work was about, getting that behind me.

Attachments

• SNAG-2021-08-22 11.19.52 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-08-22 11.19.52 AM.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 3
  • SNAG-2021-08-22 11.21.34 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-08-22 11.21.34 AM.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3752_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3752_edited-1.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3782_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3782_edited-1.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 4

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
You mean 1/4" radius in 1/4" OD tube?

thats a great looking engine!

yes 1/4 radius bend (centre line) in 1/4 tube and 5/16 in 5/16. It was a real challenge - only way imo is with a mandrel bender (it has a bullet shaped support inside the tube) which was a significant build in its own right. They're so visible you really want a neat smooth bend. I had put a lot of time into non mandrel bender but ended biting the bullet (catch the pun - the mandrel is sometimes call a bullet, groan) Here's some shots - you can see the bullets in the last photo

1629654598912.png

1629654623810.png

1629654916613.png

1629654934561.png

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Here was the first bender, my design...worked well, but not as well as a mandrel bender. The madrel bender above is from Ian Hunt and appaered in Model Engineers Workshop. So much bender crap I may have to go on one!

tb first bend complete.jpg

tb unique features.jpg tb set up-large.jpg

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
WOW Mcgyver. Now THAT is a bending tool! I'll have to look for the Ian Hunt design. Not that I think I'm capable of building but useful to absorb the thinking. Do you happen to know the issues it was featured in?

In your own ^above^ design, are the wrenches tightening an eccentric that is then snugging up on the slider shoe?