• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Toronto, ON

architect

Super User
Hi all, I'm in the Scarborough suburbs of Toronto.

I did a weekend welding course meant for engineering students (I'm not an engineer or a student) and it got me hooked. I've ordered a TIG welder and looking into sourcing the rest of my gear and affordable material to practice on for the next while. Tough part is finding materials that's not Metal Supermarket as they have a huge premium that makes it actually more expensive to buy something like a shelf instead of making it myself. Hoping to connect with some localish folks and get insight on sourcing materials and learning more from!

Crosche

Super User
Welcome to the forum from Calgary. Lot's of great people here with a ton of experience. TIG is something that I plan on trying this winter. I have a basic TIG machine, but have been too busy and a bit apprehensive to try it.
I hear you about Metal Supermarkets, they can be extremely expensive; unfortunately they do not have a lot of direct competition.

Cheers,

Chad