• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Rocky View County, AB

LaurieF

Laurie
(near Calgary).

Retired Chem Eng here. Have dabbled in metal working for about 20 years now with not much stuff (drill press, abrasive cut-off saw, side grinder and stick welder only). From scrap steel have made a couple of trailers, a 10' wind turbine and numerous smaller projects.

Originally obtained my scrap steel from an outfit named Short Iron (located in Calgary) - mostly angle and flats in mainly 3/16 to 1/4 thickness. I found them to be a very good source, was disappointed to see them go, and have not yet found a similarly good source of scrap steel product. They had a pretty good selection and IIRC sold on the basis of 25 cents per pound - quite the bargain compared to MSM.

Looking forward to perusing the forum esp for info regarding welding and lathes.

Laurie

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm more into welding and fabrication as well. Sources of scrap steel are definitely harder to find. Places like the old Calgary Metals Yard have shut down, and those that still exist won't let you wander the yard anymore. The last yard I was allowed to poke around in required PPE and your truck had to have an amber beacon on it. Check out the Sourcing Metal Stock sub-forum on this site for some ideas. There are a few people onboard who are Yodas at finding useful scrap, so keep an eye out for those posts as well. I've always got lots of smaller offcuts I give away; I'll go back to this practice in a few more months assuming COVID starts receding.

Welcome aboard from Calgary.

Last edited:

LaurieF

Laurie
Thanks all for your kind welcome.

I too visited Calgary Metal on occasion and poked around in their yard. Never found a whole lot in useful scrap however and wound up buying new angle from them once or twice after Short Iron went out of business.

I would be interested in the cut-offs as well, when the Covid goes away. There is something very satisfying about making a useful product out of scrap metal! :)

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Greeting from another rockyview county resident (east side)

The key to scrap metal is to say no to nothing, stockpile and trade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk