• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Peace River country.

Spent a bit of time helping out at a machine shop, and am in the market for my first lathe. Thinking a southbend 9 or something similar with lots of tooling. Not in a big rush. It's just for the tool room in the farm shop.

Spent a bit of time helping out at a machine shop, and am in the market for my first lathe. Thinking a southbend 9 or something similar with lots of tooling. Not in a big rush. It's just for the tool room in the farm shop.
Welcome from Lillooet BC. Finding a decent lathe is one thing, lots of tooling seems to come later. Sometimes lots of tooling included looks good on the surface, but if you aren't into the same type of machining as the previous owner, much of the tooling may be of little value to you......

Welcome from Lillooet BC. Finding a decent lathe is one thing, lots of tooling seems to come later. Sometimes lots of tooling included looks good on the surface, but if you aren't into the same type of machining as the previous owner, much of the tooling may be of little value to you......
Thanks. I was also worrying that they are trying to make up for something wrong with the machine. I see an inordinate number of 5 gallon overhauls, numerous sitting in a new home garage without signs of use. I'm hesitant to buy, if it can't be started first. I've bought a lot of crap, and am a little shy now.

Thanks for the advice 140mower. I'll take any given, glad