• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Hamilton

John G

Thanks for the membership, great to find a great group of Canadians with similar interests. Been building and rebuilding stuff for years. Lately, I'm interested in picking up a better small lathe. Something that doesn't require extensive rework. Really appreciate finding this group of Canadians.... can't say enough how much that is appreciated.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Welcome from Oakville!

When you say "small", do you mean like a 9-10 inch swing or really small like a watchmaker's lathe? Do you have to get it up or down any stairs or is a heavier machine possible?

Craig

John G

Well, I was looking at a Southbend 9A, or a Myford 7 something along that line. A friend had an Atlas but he passed on and it disappeared into the great unknown, his lathe would have fit the bill. Something that can do a descent cut in steel and is reasonably accurate. The lathe I have now is too light, only capable in plastic, wood or brass.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome to the forum John, shouldn't take long to find yourself a nice lathe seems to be a banana belt for equipment down in your area!!

John G

Thanks for all the welcomes. Canadium, I up on "The Mountain" near Upper James and Mohawk, just to make all you guys out west have a good laugh. Yep, I'm up on the hill we call the mountain!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@ John G pleased to have you on board from a member born in Hamilton, raised and educated in Stoney Creek enjoying life on the prairies.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Thanks for all the welcomes. Canadium, I up on "The Mountain" near Upper James and Mohawk, just to make all you guys out west have a good laugh. Yep, I'm up on the hill we call the mountain!

Mountain, back in my much younger days it was called the mountain too, actually part of the Niagara escarpment.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Farmland South of Chatham Ontario.

From the perspective of anyone living in the Chatham to Windsor area, Hamilton's "mountain" is like the Himalayas.

Flatland around here would make the Prairie Boys feel right at home, except the trees here block the view so the dog disappears after just one holler. Nobody really knows how flat it really is here......

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome to this group of hobbyists !!
It is pretty flat around Kitchener, where we live, but, I am running up the 403 and looking at Dundas a few times a week. I think the area near the RBG is quite nice.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Welcome from Ancaster. You’ll find a great group here! Too, perhaps reach out to the HMEC. While they are generally into the hobby/model engineering most are retired from the industry and the group has a lot to offer and not just building little engines. Cheers.

Derek

John G

Thanks TOBARApprentice, Never knew they existed, now I'll be looking forward to a meet up in the fall on Woodward Ave. Been building stuff for decades, guess I'll be one of the retirees attending. Thanks for that! John