• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from calgary

Robzee

Hi hi, new member here from Calgary. I am just in the middle of launching my business “Black Label Poured Silver” and I invite you all to come along for the ride! I will be focusing my business on pouring handmade sculptures in .999 fine silver for the collector and stacker in all of us! Some notables are my +/- 1oz starfish or my 25oz Rhino bust. Pics will come out whenever pours are completed. Thanks, and nice to find this place! On a side note, does anyone have a good used 3kg melting furnace for silver with crucible to sell?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Welcome aboard. I’m not sure how big of furnace you need for 3kg of silver but a small kiln might work as a furnace.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuanH

i do 3d design on zbrush and lately i have been contemplating to get a kiln. if im of any help, let me know.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought one of the spring type spincasting machines off kijiji last year but still need to make a castable mold To try it out.

George

Hi hi, new member here from Calgary. I am just in the middle of launching my business “Black Label Poured Silver” and I invite you all to come along for the ride! I will be focusing my business on pouring handmade sculptures in .999 fine silver for the collector and stacker in all of us! Some notables are my +/- 1oz starfish or my 25oz Rhino bust. Pics will come out whenever pours are completed. Thanks, and nice to find this place! On a side note, does anyone have a good used 3kg melting furnace for silver with crucible to sell?
Made mine out of a propane tank , my Crusible is a peice of 5 inch pipe with a plate welded to the bottom, all FREE, make lots of aluminium barstock with it, and yes i use pop cans it works for me as a hobby guy.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Made mine out of a propane tank , my Crusible is a peice of 5 inch pipe with a plate welded to the bottom, all FREE, make lots of aluminium barstock with it, and yes i use pop cans it works for me as a hobby guy.
Beer kegs are stainless steel and work great there is lots of room for crucibles after being lined with 2 inches of Kao wool i use a 6x6x10 square tube for aluminum and a A6 crucible for brass hopefully I’ll pick up a A20 in the future.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Hi, thats cool that you use silver for sculpting, how large do you usually make them? Do you only cast silver sculptures, or have you tried doing other forms of silversmithing? If you focus mainly on sculpting then it would make sense that you use sand casting. Ive taken some courses on silversmithing in the form of jewelry, cuddlebone casting is an easy way to create custom silver jewelry like pendants, rings, earrings, ect.

JuanH

Thanks, atm I don’t cast, I work with a casting facility in the states, they have the high end printers so my garage proyect is bronze casting of figures, I still long way so will see how that goes

Robzee

Hi, thats cool that you use silver for sculpting, how large do you usually make them? Do you only cast silver sculptures, or have you tried doing other forms of silversmithing? If you focus mainly on sculpting then it would make sense that you use sand casting. Ive taken some courses on silversmithing in the form of jewelry, cuddlebone casting is an easy way to create custom silver jewelry like pendants, rings, earrings, ect.
Ohio Chris, sorry just found my way back here after months. I pretty much just cast silver and gold from my sculptures work but since being in here last, I've now gotten big into bars and wafers and more.