• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from Brandon Manitoba

Art M

Hello everybody,

I'm a heavy duty equipment mechanic that owned an engine machine shop for ten years in the middle of my career,............... that was a while ago.
So once I had a heated garage I had to buy a mill and a lathe to save money on my own projects.
That's not working out so well :)

Great to find a Canadian forum.
Art

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Ontario farmland south of Chatham. Lots of mechanics and engine folks here. Lots of advice on how to lose more money too.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Hi Art,

Welcome from Winnipeg! Glad to see another Manitoban join the forum!

I’ve just started playing with my lathe, still learning where to buy things in Manitoba etc. I’m suspecting I’ll have a mill within the next year or so to keep my lathe company.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome! I lived in Portage la Prairie for many years. Been to Brandon often.

Buying a lathe and milling machine is a great idea. As Mr. Pete says, "Why buy a part for $30 when you can make your own with $12,000 worth of tools?"

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Like many other sad deprived Saskatchewan boys in the 80's my first peeler bar experience was in Brandon lots of hearts were broken:(, Friday night till close, waiting for them to unlock the door in the morning on Saturday and way too many beers good times.
Welcome to the group lots of great knowledge on here, glad to see you have caught the bug and are enjoying the hobby.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Like many other sad deprived Saskatchewan boys in the 80's my first peeler bar experience was in Brandon lots of hearts were broken:(, Friday night till close, waiting for them to unlock the door in the morning on Saturday and way too many beers good times.
Welcome to the group lots of great knowledge on here, glad to see you have caught the bug and are enjoying the hobby.
I have yet to experience that, tried once on a New Year’s Eve :D