• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Has Anyone Been to Grizzly Warehouse in Bellingham, Washington?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hi everyone. I'm retired now, with some time on my hands.

I've always wanted to go to the Grizzly Tools Warehouse in Bellingham, WA, just across the BC border. I'm in Calgary, and I don't have anything specific to buy, but after years of looking at their catalog online (long before they lifted their "non-compete clause" with Busy Bee Tools in Canada), I have always wanted to make the trip just to gawk and see firsthand what they have (maybe even arrange an interview with a Grizzly representative) and perhaps share gas money with someone who also wants to go?

I have no timeframe...and I'm just wondering out-loud...dreaming of tools......4 Jaw Chucks......End Mills...Dial Indicators...Slip Rolls...Press Brakes...Jessica Alba....WAIT—how did she creep into this thread??????

Has anyone been there? Online the store looks impressive at 200,000 sq feet (although <half of the Missouri facility), so I am curious if anyone has seen it, and what your impressions are? Is it worth the trip? I know they aren't a manufacturer (just an importer) and the tour wouldn't be like my favourite LittleMachineShop tour of Chinese manufacturing plants—but hey, I'll bet we could get some good intel for forum members if we called ahead and set up some coffee chats with Grizzly exec's!

Any thoughts? Again, no timetable...just fishing for interest.

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I was there 5 or 6 years ago. We were in Vancouver and the family wanted to do some US shopping. It's worth a visit if you're in the area but I'm not sure I'd make a special trip.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks. I have some friends in Langley, so maybe I will combine the visit. Cheers.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was there last summer - spent more than I planned (obviously)... If I had a trailer I could have gotten a smokin' deal on a milling machine, (floor model)!

John Conroy

Premium Member
I go in there every time I visit my daughter in Vancouver. It's worth the drive for sure if you are in the area.

John

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks all for your feedback. I do plan to go there soon. I'm a tad worried I'll buy too much—I've got no shop space left :(

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
No idea why I checked this, but according to the World Bank, Canada has the 9th lowest Population density (people per sq. km of land area) in the world. Yet I still can't find space for a full sized knee mill and gantry crane on my property. Something is clearly wrong here.

kylemp

No idea why I checked this, but according to the World Bank, Canada has the 9th lowest Population density (people per sq. km of land area) in the world. Yet I still can't find space for a full sized knee mill and gantry crane on my property. Something is clearly wrong here.
You could move to the places in Canada that make that true.. Like Saskatchewan, the Yukon, NWT, etc. Then you'd be able to have space for cheap. But then you'd be in one of those places..

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
When I was younger (much) I travelled across Canada by bus. I went through Sask. It was nice. I saw their tree.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I heard that was a myth.. That they have a tree..
We're both going to get beat up by RR fans with watermelons on their heads if we're not careful. I hope they're metalworkers at least. Watermelons..Monty Python Tin Hats...just sayin...
upload_2016-9-12_22-23-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-12_22-11-14.png
    upload_2016-9-12_22-11-14.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2016-9-12_22-11-21.png
    upload_2016-9-12_22-11-21.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Jimbojones

I did a visit to Grizzly showroom; like many others, was giddy to get there and I planned a stop-by on the way to Van. Island.

Have to say I was glad I used my own eyes but for not the reasons I expected:
1) not nearly the amount of metalworking equipment I thought there would be on display; much more woodworking
2) poor (non-existant?) customer service on the sale floor. Had to hunt staff down who then had difficulty answering questions
3) wanted to check out their lathes. House brands ones had too much play in almost every aspect and even the Soutbends (which, btw...Grizzly owns the brand and gets China to bang them out) were a disappointment
4) tooling was only par with run-of-the-mill imports. Didn't see much that I would call high quality at any price point
5) found out that some of the items they listed as HSS in their catalog, weren't (after talking to their staff)

Yup...I travelled all that way and bought NOTHING. Guess it was better than ordering it from here and being disappointed when it arrived.

Jimbojones

KMS = yup.

Went looking for 5 items this week (2 on sale, 3 non....all regular stock). Had NONE in stock..all had to be backordered

To add insult, they called today to say 'your order is in' and I've been fooled by this before so I asked 'are ALL 5 items in?!?"
"Um...no...but I have 1 of them"

Like I want to make a total of 6 trips since they cant get their act together. I've tried soooo hard to like that place but the shenanigans appear to be neverending <read: circus>

Dogpounder

I have to agree with you jimbo, KMS is 2 hours away and everytime I go there to get something they claimed they have: oh sorry that person doesn't know or care if its in stock. So drove to busy bee and bought the 2000$ bandsaw there. Gotta love the big city!

Dogpounder

I got the CX 100, mostly to be used a resaw for timber work that I do quite a lot of. I have used it to rip down Aluminum as well. Its under powered for timber work but plows through any 2X lumber. Hard to set up and everytime I change blades it takes quite awhile to get it aligned again and running true. I am not impressed with the adjustment system for the top wheel on the saw. It's very haphazard and hard to adjust. Its on my list to make it right someday.