• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hand File Reference

EricB

So I'm taking my Red Seal Exam on Friday to become a Journeyman Machinist which has me reviewing information from all years of my apprenticeship and I have to say, it is shocking how little most of my co-workers and classmates know about simple bench-work like filing. I can appreciate that modern machinery, tooling, and software has rendered most filing, hand-tapping, scraping, etc. unnecessary, but they are still important skills to have, you would be amazed what you can do with a simple file. Anyways, while doing some review this morning I stumbled across this blog entry from KMS tools, and I was really impressed. This is a very thorough overview of file types, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else who likes to keep old practices alive, or is just a huge nerd like me wants to read it.

https://www.kmstools.com/blog/hand-file-identification/

And in case you think filing is silly, here are a couple of videos that show a bit of what you can do with a file:

Filing starts at 8:38

Cheers!
-Eric

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just watched this. Very humbling when someone can do a better job by hand than I can do with a power tool. Hope your exam went well.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The guy who got me into machining was given an odd shaped piece of steel and a file on his first day of apprenticeship. He was told to make a smooth, square, flat 1" X 1" X 1" cube out of it. The shop foreman told him that only one in 4 men passed this test.

I hope your tests go/went well! Let us know how you did!