• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Grinding a has bit

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi everyone, Merry Christmas!

I have very little experience ( none really) grinding effective hss tool bits.

I'm wanting to grind a 1/8" bit for broaching out a key way slot inside a aluminum wheel.
I hope to do this broaching with bit mounted in tool post on my lathe.

I'm thinking this is pretty basic but so am I.
Any tips or pictures on how to achieve this.

Thanks.
Don Pittman

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Also...any good ideas on how to hold lathe spindle in one spot. The lathe has no back gear or mechanism to lock.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
what lathe is it? I've never seen a lathe without a spindle lock...
usually you engage the back gear with the pin in, and that locks the chuck.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
what lathe is it? I've never seen a lathe without a spindle lock...
usually you engage the back gear with the pin in, and that locks the chuck.

It's a craftex 10x22 lathe. Yup previous Atlas lathe had both the pin and back gears but this one does not.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ha ha! I just watched a Tubalcain video that showed me exactly how to do what I want! He used a cut off blade.

However I'm still looking for help on how to hold my spindle in place.

Don

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
yes mrpete222 is a great guy.

I'd have to guess that you would C clamp on one jaw of your chuck to a vertical bar, then c clamp to a horizontal bar across the ways. (for good measure , you could bar clamp it to the bridge, but that's for the paranoid) Good enough to hold to a couple of thou. If I had pictures of your gears in the head or the banjo, there might be an easier way there.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have to do this eventually too. But I don't think I have a spindle lock on my 14x40. Wait a sec, I'll ask John. HEY JOHN! Do We Have A Spindle Lock!? :)

I've seen guys make up a friction clamp on one of the idler gears or exposed shaft under the hood. I've also seen kind of a plunger finger arrangement that detents in a gear tooth opening. Probably fine but just don't ever brain fart on the power button or it could be expensive. I've also read to take very light keyway cuts on small lathes, its not that great on the carriage traversing gear assembly. Some guys make these lever handle plunging accessories that mount to cross table which is locked down to take the duty load off the carriage motion.

Attachments

• 12-28-2016 0001.jpg
    12-28-2016 0001.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 12-28-2016 0000.jpg
    12-28-2016 0000.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 7

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have to do this eventually too. But I don't think I have a spindle lock on my 14x40. Wait a sec, I'll ask John. HEY JOHN! Do We Have A Spindle Lock!? :)

I've seen guys make up a friction clamp on one of the idler gears or exposed shaft under the hood. I've also seen kind of a plunger finger arrangement that detents in a gear tooth opening. Probably fine but just don't ever brain fart on the power button or it could be expensive. I've also read to take very light keyway cuts on small lathes, its not that great on the carriage traversing gear assembly. Some guys make these lever handle plunging accessories that mount to cross table which is locked down to take the duty load off the carriage motion.

Peter,

I did my broaching without locking spindle (mostly because I couldn't figure out how to) and it worked ok.

I was only doing a 3/32 slot in aluminum and only took .005" at a time. I also had a make shift indexing plate that would show me if things moved.

That gizmo you showed would definitely be a good thing as I could feel the strain on my little lathe with just a small aluminum slot.

Don

John Conroy

Premium Member
Nope we don't have a spindle lock Peter. I've never found need for one but then I've never broached a keyway either.