• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Greetings from Cantley, Qc

juan1

Hi, long time lurker here, thought id introduce myself. I'm located just north of ottawa where i have about 800ft working space in a walk out basement. I do welding and woodworking and hopefully, soon, some machining. Use to do a fair amount of machining when i studied Industrial Design at University in the early 90's but nothing since. Looking to buy a lathe and mill this year and possibly build a new shop next spring. BTW, my real name is John.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hello John and welcome from soggy Saskatchewan although we can use the moisture for pastures and crops.

juan1

Thanks for the warm welcome. First time i've done an intro in 30 years of internet forums. Seems like a very friendly spot here.

Six 0 Two. Small world...with Carleton ID grads. We may have met. I taught the introduction to lathe and mill to first year students from 93 to 95 (or was it 92 to 94?).
My grad show project was a Air bearing, vacuum tube powered, record player. Kinda stood out at the time. Also, almost moved to Nelson after school. I have many friends and family in those parts. I going to a dinner party tonight with a bunch of old ID grads.

I'd appriate help spending money on machinery I have some cash stocked away and i want to make more turntables.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome to this interesting group of hobbyists !!

I apprenticed as a machinist in the 1980s with Ex Cell-O, but the economy had a downturn and
I went back to school for Machinery Design and spent co-op work-terms at Kellogg’s Engineering in London. Following the completion of Kellogg’s Project 2000 . . .

I was recruited by a company in the farmland North of London and designed some patented machinery for corrugated plastic pipe production.
At the same time I graduated from a four year course at the Ivey Business School at nights.
Technology transfers from Norway, MRPII & PLM software implementations and capital machinery projects have made forty years seem like a blur !!

Now, I work mornings for an auto restoration & industrial supply company.

If you have questions, just post them.
Lots of experience in this group.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the warm welcome. First time i've done an intro in 30 years of internet forums. Seems like a very friendly spot here.

Six 0 Two. Small world...with Carleton ID grads. We may have met. I taught the introduction to lathe and mill to first year students from 93 to 95 (or was it 92 to 94?).
My grad show project was a Air bearing, vacuum tube powered, record player. Kinda stood out at the time. Also, almost moved to Nelson after school. I have many friends and family in those parts. I going to a dinner party tonight with a bunch of old ID grads.

I'd appriate help spending money on machinery I have some cash stocked away and i want to make more turntables.

We all love to help others spend their coin. Need a list of what you have already though unless you want backups....

If you wanna make turntables, it sounds to me like a nice 12 or 14 inch lathe is up first..... Not that turntables can't be done other ways but a good lathe should prolly be your first choice no matter what you plan to do.

Of course, my shop coach in University told me 60 years ago that a bench grinder was the most useful power tool in any shop. 60 years later I know he was right. After that, I'd say a good drill press.

But let's hear what you have before we get too far down that road.

juan1

We all love to help others spend their coin. Need a list of what you have already though unless you want backups....

If you wanna make turntables, it sounds to me like a nice 12 or 14 inch lathe is up first..... Not that turntables can't be done other ways but a good lathe should prolly be your first choice no matter what you plan to do.

Of course, my shop coach in University told me 60 years ago that a bench grinder was the most useful power tool in any shop. 60 years later I know he was right. After that, I'd say a good drill press.

But let's hear what you have before we get too far down that road.
A 12" lathe is my first and foremost need. I don't need a long bed but good precision would be nice for making the bearings. Theres a Schaublin in member spotted that is very tempting. A bit over budget but....

Next would be a mill. I pretty well equipped (if i do say so myself) for most other metal and woodworking needs. I have multiples of many tools (drill presses, table saws, jointers, planers, compressors) and yes i own 3 bench grinders, as well as buffers and belt and disc sanders.

Heres an old and crappy picture of my turntable. This is the kind of things i'll be making. table1 copy.jpg u-record copy.jpg