• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Greetings from a new/old guy in Edmonton

Brian26

Premium Member
In an older life, I taught accounting at MacEwan for about 30 years, retiring in 2006. Always have been a woodworking enthusiast, and dabbled in machining to make useful stuff for my woodworking. Now have a share in a decent lathe, plus my own two milling machines - neither of which have DRO - something I want to add. I just offered my larger MM for sale on Kijiji, and one of your mewmbers referred me to this group, which I am delighted to join. I either want to sell my larger Grizzly MM (Model 9977) - or, update it with both DRO and a proper motor with a VFD. I had an accident early this year (not related to machining) and am just now getting back to using my left arm again, so I am hoping to find someone to install a Chinese DRO on this. If I do that, it will not be sold - at least, not right away. Please let me know if you are interested and experienced at this sort of thing, and we will discuss further. including remuneration.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice to have you here. I saw your ad on Kijiji. I installed a dro on a very similar milling machine as yours. It was bought off Aliexpress very reasonably and I am happy with it. If the lack of a dro on your machine is the only thing you do not like about it I sure would you encourage you to pursue the option of putting one on it. I am on the other end of the province or else I would be happy to assist you but it really isn't that bad of a job. If you have questions or concerns about an installation or purchase I can guarantee that there are alot of qualified members here that can answer your question.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Welcome Brian to the forum from another old guy. Enjoy your stay and behave yourself. LOL

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
Welcome Brian. I live in St. Albert and would be happy to assist you installing your DRO. I am retired from NAIT and have plenty of spare time. I have installed a couple of DRO's. It's a fussy job but not too difficult.

Brian26

Premium Member
Nice to have you here. I saw your ad on Kijiji. I installed a dro on a very similar milling machine as yours. It was bought off Aliexpress very reasonably and I am happy with it. If the lack of a dro on your machine is the only thing you do not like about it I sure would you encourage you to pursue the option of putting one on it. I am on the other end of the province or else I would be happy to assist you but it really isn't that bad of a job. If you have questions or concerns about an installation or purchase I can guarantee that there are alot of qualified members here that can answer your question.

Thanks for the encouragement. I probably have the skills to install the DRO properly, but I lack flexibility. Certainly appreciate the offers of assistance I have so far received. Much appreciated.

Brian26

Premium Member
Welcome Brian. I live in St. Albert and would be happy to assist you installing your DRO. I am retired from NAIT and have plenty of spare time. I have installed a couple of DRO's. It's a fussy job but not too difficult.

Thanks, John for the offer to help. Over this weekend I will decide which way I want to go. Much appreciated.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Brian if your want to be involved in a DRO install before doing your own, I will be adding a 3 axis system to my new mill when it arrives in early August.

Brian26

Premium Member
John
Now early August. How is your upgrade coming along? Might be interested in observing if the timing is right.

John Conroy

Premium Member
The new mill has been delayed until late August or early September. I'll let you know when I start to set it up.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Brian if you are interested there is a very good video series posted by Clough42 on YouTube documenting his DRO install. He is very detail oriented and does a great job so the 4 part series is worth watching.