• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Garage sale

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Hey, just had a thought, what if we had a monthly post that was sticked in the classifieds called garage sale. Could be nice for small things that are “too much effort” or too small to have their own post but members would like to get rid of. I’m thinking smaller items, mostly consumables like drills, reamers and the misc shop stuff? Is this the right place to post something like this?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I like this idea however I believe there should be a caveat in place for the buyer and seller to express their satisfaction or dissatisfaction with
any sale. Not to draw the ire from the forum or it's members, something that would quickly expose unsavory scammers and such.

Trust me when I say they are out there lurking!

Why does the thread "Scamming on HobbyMachinists.com" come to mind.

Rotaxxx

A trader rating system would be nice as well like Dusty mentioned. I have only been on this site for 3-4 months and see more and more people signing up. Might weed out the bad apples as well.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I certainly agree that a warning mechanism of some kind is warranted for scammers on any "for sale" part of any forum...But...I am a member of another forum that uses the "trader rating" system, while good intentioned, it is used more as a bitching post between member buyers & sellers bitching at each other over who didn't live up to a written add or shipped something that the add inflated the condition of the item.
Full on "scam warnings" probably constitute less than 2 or 3 % of warnings.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I certainly agree that a warning mechanism of some kind is warranted for scammers on any "for sale" part of any forum...But...I am a member of another forum that uses the "trader rating" system, while good intentioned, it is used more as a bitching post between member buyers & sellers bitching at each other over who didn't live up to a written add or shipped something that the add inflated the condition of the item.
Full on "scam warnings" probably constitute less than 2 or 3 % of warnings.

I agree. Trader Ratings aren't scam proof. There is no means of ascertaining who is leaving good ratings. Could be the scammers buddies. One thing that helps though is having to having to been a member for x long and having had posted y general posts before been allowed access to the classifieds. Helps weed out the quick hit and run types.

The ultimate deterrent is charging a membership fee in order to gain access to the classifieds.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
while good intentioned, it is used more as a bitching post between member buyers & sellers

I just dealt with a thread on HM, where two guys ganged up on a vendor and started bitching. They are now on warning and the thread has been cleaned up. it is what moderators do.

The ultimate deterrent is charging a membership fee in order to gain access to the classifieds.

at the other site, it is exactly what we had to do.