• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Gantry Crane Wanted to Rent in Victoria

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'm going to be doing a frame swap on my truck and before I build a crane (wood) I am wondering if any Victoria folks have a crane they could rent out for a few weeks. It would be to support the engine while the frame is removed and replaced from under the truck.

I'm going to be doing a frame swap on my truck and before I build a crane (wood) I am wondering if any Victoria folks have a crane they could rent out for a few weeks. It would be to support the engine while the frame is removed and replaced from under the truck.
Too bad you don't live nearby in Ontario. I have 2 cranes and neither of them are being used right now.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@PaulL - you'll be very happy that I didn't borrow your crane.
Two things I hate about borrowing tools;
1. if I break it I have to buy someone else a new tool and then I still don't have one.
2. things never go according to plan and the job takes much longer than expected.
I've just gotten to needing a crane so Pauls would have been in my yard for a few months instead of a few weeks.
I did the poor mans crane and built one using some 6x6s I had kicking around, so far so good. Using a 1 ton winch for lift. It's only supporting the engine (V6) so the load isn't great and out comes the old frame.

Attachments

• P1010943.JPG
    P1010943.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010944.JPG
    P1010944.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 15

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
@PaulL - you'll be very happy that I didn't borrow your crane.
Two things I hate about borrowing tools;
1. if I break it I have to buy someone else a new tool and then I still don't have one.
2. things never go according to plan and the job takes much longer than expected.
I've just gotten to needing a crane so Pauls would have been in my yard for a few months instead of a few weeks.
I did the poor mans crane and built one using some 6x6s I had kicking around, so far so good. Using a 1 ton winch for lift. It's only supporting the engine (V6) so the load isn't great and out comes the old frame.
I hear you - 1) is also why I never do shared tools - you're always fixing what the other guy broke.
Regarding 2) - given how much work that gantry has done since I got back from vacation, I'm very glad I had it at hand!
Glad the 6x6s are working for you. Though if you'd had to buy those you could have gone straight to the Princess Auto gantry...

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
As good a place as any to comment on my gantry...I keep having to pull the wheels off and dolly it in and out of the garage. Today I made up some outriggers for it:
1661990575504.png
So now I can at least wheel it around easily after pulling the big casters off. Next is to make something that lets me flip the big casters up out of the way instead of having to unbolt them.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
PA has gantry crane on sale.
This is (one of) the PA gantries from when they were on sale a couple of years ago.

Mount the big casters on the outriggers and the small casters on the crane, would that work?
Difficult. I need a good 2" of drop, and the big caster are 5" tall. I've thought of some sort of low-rider adapter, but the loads on the casters get quite high in use, so I think I really do want them under the feet instead of offset. Hinges to flip them out of the look like the best answer just now.
But I'm good for the moment so I can cogitate a while longer.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If you can afford to loose the couple inches in overall height, how about shortening the main posts.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I have to shorten the sliding posts - they bottom out. And maybe the main post to not hit the cross beam.

Which means lying it down on its side a swearing a lot ;-). That's a 3 man job (well, precarious two man).

The outriggers took 10 minutes with things I had lying around.

But yes the real answer is to cut the legs down.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Know any one that might give you a hand? ;)
Oh, wait, is it in Victoria or at the cabin? If it's at the cabin you're on your own. lol

Tom O

Ultra Member
Use a longer piece of tubing and machine a hinge that will slide into the gantry far enough to make it stable.